A tiny Hayes modem for your tiny retro computer

Oh Hey, wonder if there’s a way for me to use that to turn a pi zero into a
wifi dongle.

I’m not sure I understand your question. What exactly would you like to achieve?

The videos I posted show that you can implement full tcp/ip using the RS232 by establishing a ppp link. This basically extends the capabilities of the wifi232 from just tunneling telnet to implementing a full tcp/ip stack, even if you’ll be limited to the maximum theoretical speed of 115200bps :).

Basically idea I had is use the fact the pi zero can act as a ‘gadget’ plug it into a host computer that does not have internet, and use the pi’s wifi on the computer, potentially with the pi doing things like ad black holing and other router level business.

edit: I feel dumb.

I think SOMEONE could create a pi zero solution that is SIMILAR to the Wifi232 and it provides a builtin ppp server!
But I don’t think there would be any benefit to hooking up the pi zero to the wifi232 :slight_smile:

In fact, I just came across this, which shows how someone used (and modified) a linux application called tcpser to basically do the same as the wifi232.

So, if you install tcpser like that guy did and then enable telnet locally on the pi AND implement the ppp server like I did, you’ll be able to get full tcp/ip on the pi zero over wireless :slight_smile:.

There seems to be strong element of masochism among retro computer fans,

1 Like

It’s not masochism, just dedication.

1 Like

Same mentality that gearheads have when trying ot get every ounce of power out of an old car, or taking a machine back to ‘fresh off the line’ stock, or simply making it have more of das blenkinlights.

The things that struck me were Clint talking about the nostalgic feeling he got when characters trickled across the screen at 2400 bps, and the Windows 98 SE demo using PPP.

I remember my 14.4 modem and not having to wait Never could get ANSI color to work-- maybe I didn’t have the budget and knowhow to follow through.

And by the time that Windows 95 came out, I was in the middle of college, and the machines with Ethernet were so much more useful…

I’ve used
Apple II
Apple IIGS
Macintosh
DOS PC

If I was going to indulge my sense of nostalgia, the Apple II would have a Mockingboard and maybe an RGB monitor, the Apple IGS would have a stereo card and a transwarp, the DOS PC would have a Roland MIDI device and maybe a Voodoo board. Things that really pushed the boundaries of what was possible then, but also pushed the budget a little too far,

The Macintosh-- well I do have the last machine to run System 9. Single G4 @ 1,25 Ghz, 2 gigs. Haven’t turned it in seven or eight years. The power supply is kind of flaky, and it likes to run with the case opened.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.