A tourist in Toronto ordered a medium burger — but didn't expect the waiver that came with it

I’m more of a chicken guy anyway, but any beef less than well-done tastes like blood to me (I know it’s not blood). Snoot if you want, but it’s disgusting (to me, you do you).

4 Likes

Ideally it shouldn’t be - the dressing should go on at the last moment so it doesn’t overwhelm the beef. I rarely order anymore for that reason; too often there was too much “stuff” on it to really taste the beef. I’ve had basashi a couple of times and realised the dressing, capers etc were just distractions from the meat.

6 Likes

Well, you can…it’s just less effective.

2 Likes

I’m imagining someone skydiving, and an employee jumping out of the plane after them with a clipboard and a pen, and then shouting at them: “I need you to sign this, waiving any liability in case your chute doesn’t open!”

8 Likes

“Sure…here you go. By the way, you’re wearing my hiking pack!”

5 Likes

How so? Grinding it would cause any outer pathogens to end up distributed evenly throughout the patty, and presumably the ones near the center would not get hot enough to be killed.

5 Likes

“Oh waiver, there’s a pathogen in my burger!”

8 Likes

:thinking: hmmm, you’re right

3 Likes

About 25 years ago I had Steak Tartare at Chez Gerard in London. This was the original branch when it was still considered relatively fine dining rather than a small, up-market French themed chain. It was for a business lunch. I got food poisoning.

I’ve also had food poisoning from cheapo delivery pizza in north London, and from rotation sushi in Japan, and from an airport hotel in Narita. (I can’t remember what I ate that time. It was a cooked meal.)

On the other hand, I used to be at a posh school in London, and one day half the inmates started dropping from food poisoning, but I was spared. Another time, I went on a boat dinner for a works party, and half the people got poisoning from the food, but not me and I had had seconds.

So anyway, the point is that anything raw is a potential danger, but anything cooked can be too. The key factors are the cleanliness of the staff, and luck.

8 Likes

Can’t have medium anything in Subway

10 Likes

… and of the condition of the meat before it has been cooked. A waiver as described in the story could be used to cover a restaurant that had some borderline meat they’d like to get rid of.

5 Likes

“Try our new Roulette Burger; made with 100% Mystery Meat.” :face_with_raised_eyebrow::smile:

6 Likes

I honestly expected it to be a waiver the other way around, that if you ordered a burger well done, they made you sign a waiver that you’re ok with the disappointment.

3 Likes

This is common in Ontario. There are places that won’t even serve a steak unless it is medium, no pink at all.

As an aside, ten years ago or so I traveled to Madrid for work. The flight had no edible food service and arrived after 11:00 PM - strangely, no restaurants were open. At the hotel I ordered the only hot food on the night menu: a hamburger. What arrived was a barely warm tartar burger on a bun. The taste was okay, but never again.

2 Likes

Basashi is a stretch for me. I don’t mind the horse part and I don’t mind the raw part, but the cuts are always so thick that the texture just doesn’t feel good at all.

1 Like

Had a filet in Monaco once, which was a barely browned cube. My description was that it knew the way to the kitchen, but had never been formally introduced to the grill

Back then I just ate around the edges - now I would devour the whole thing no problem :drooling_face:

2 Likes

The issue is that the pathogens may have been on the outside of the cut of beef, and now when you grind it they are now on the inside of the burger, and if you cook that rare, those pathogens will never get cooked.

With a steak the center of the cut was never exposed to the outside world.

I’ve enjoyed steak tartar before, but only from a place where I really trust their food handling skills.

The lemon on ceviche denatures the proteins to give it that cooked texture, but does little to any pathogens. Both e coli and salmonella experience a reduction in reproduction, but neither is likely to be eliminated.

In any case, as @Immutable_Mike says, the lemon is added just before serving.

5 Likes

Plus, if the lemon in carpaccio actually denatured significant amounts of protein, the beef would appear grey. That’s something you definitely don’t want in carpaccio

2 Likes

Yeah, but possibly they’re there anyhow, they just don’t have time to multiply into something that your body can’t deal with seems to be the justification. I’ve eaten many a burger that’s a bit pink inside, the last one I had was too rare, even for me, the bottom bun ended up pink and wet from the juices, I asked them put it back on for another minute or two. Didn’t hurt me afaict.

They said that’s how they do all their burgers, and they haven’t had any complaints or visits from inspectors.

2 Likes