A tweet about England's naan bread goes viral for all the wrong reasons

As a massive fan of all things curry. The only thing that stands out to me in that photo is the drink choice. Prosecco isn’t my first choice with curry, but I guess to each their own :man_shrugging:

And Everyone knows that lager is “The only thing that can kill a Vindaloo”.

8 Likes

I’ll leave it to Goodness Gracious Me to explain English food:

9 Likes

womanyellingcat

Rework it into racists yelling at naan, and bob’s your uncle.

4 Likes

The British created an empire in search of edible cuisine. As they had none of their own.

8 Likes

Naan naan naan naan naan, Batman!

2 Likes

Much like the language then.

13 Likes

That’s a funny way to pronounce “colonialism.”

7 Likes

Or put another way: “white people conquered half the planet looking for spices and don’t even use them on their damn food.”

12 Likes

The guy does seem to be dragging the racists and having a grand old time doing so. More power to him.

2 Likes

It’s true. I spent 2 weeks in England and had a lot of fish and chips as they were the cheapest stuff to eat. But then I found some kabab shops and finally had some flavor.

Though I do miss Schwepp’s Lemonade.

1 Like

The guy is being ironic - a Tory MP recently described several areas of both Birmingham and London as no-go areas, largely on the basis of their ethnic makeup. There’s an ongoing “debate” about Tory Islamophobia in the UK at the moment.

A bit of context never did anyone any harm.

6 Likes

Yes, yes… which is why it’s in the comments… :thinking:

5 Likes

Britain’s empire is actually fairly recent historically. International trade isn’t (18th century v Bronze Age). So British imperialism in particular in India (curry, tea, heroin, war, genocide, famines, clothes from Manchester mills) is comparatively late. In Shakespeare’s time they drank coffee (from Ethiopia which was not colonised by white people, and definitely not English) rather than tea which was imperial.

Cosmopolitan tastes aren’t always imperialism.

10 Likes

My folks spent some time living in Europe years (with the US Army) before I was born. When I first went to the UK, my dad advised me “avoid British food where possible, try food from the British Empire instead”. So my first visit to London I gravitated towards Chinese, Middle Eastern and South Asian restaurants.

1 Like
6 Likes

Potatoes.

6 Likes
3 Likes

And vindaloo exists in part because of the Portuguese influence in Indian food. And Britain got fish and chips from Portuguese Jewish immigrants!

12 Likes

I always eat in Vietnamese and North African restaurants when I’m in France.
Get a rijsttafel in the Netherlands.
Last time I was in Italy I was with locals so we toured different regions of Italy in Rome but if I ever go again I’m going to go to an Ethiopian.

I’m now really looking forward to my visit to England next month (bringing a kid to a gig) and all the curry I will eat!

8 Likes

France, Portugal and Spain are colonial powers who brought decent food to other places for great fusion cuisine. Like banh mi and tempura

2 Likes