How to make curried rice the Aleister Crowley way

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/12/how-to-make-curried-rice-the-a.html

3 Likes

Uncle Rodger would have some comments about this.

25 Likes

Crowley wasn’t a Satanist.

22 Likes

I feel like something very important is missing from this list.

32 Likes

Needs more summoning.

8 Likes

While there’s no record of what, exactly, comprises “glacier curry,” a recipe for “Riz Aleister Crowley” is included among his archive of papers

5 Likes

And yet the curry doesn’t seem to have any eyeballs. Probably an oversight.

15 Likes

Probably the huge dollop of flim-flammy bullshit that seasoned his entire persona…

17 Likes

Sultanas. Of course sultanas. And no cumin or cayenne or fennel seed. WTF is it about British cooks that they always have to put raisins in their curry and obsessively limit the spices?

17 Likes

I think all the flim-flam was because he wanted to do men.

4 Likes

More like a biryani than a curry.

15 Likes

I’m confused. Are you saying you cant hail Satan with this dish?

10 Likes

Not me personally, no, as Satan and I had a falling out after I told him I didn’t like his kebabs.

18 Likes

Such as something actually spicy-hot, as hinted to in the effects on “strong men”?

9 Likes

The rice recipe is not his curry recipe.

But I’m sure I’ve eaten the rice dish at many a mess do - only with white rice, brown rice having been lost to history and not yet rediscovered at the time.

5 Likes

It’s a tradition or an old charter or something.

4 Likes

To be fair, it’s not actually a curry recipe (it specifically says ‘to be eaten with curry’). It’s a pilau, and the ingredients are not unusual for middle eastern rice recipes.

13 Likes

curry

11 Likes

Bring two cups of salted water to a bowl.

Umm ‘boil’, not ‘bowl’, I suspect.

7 Likes

Hey, curry with raisins in it was one of my favourite school dinners. Mind you, that’s not a high bar.

Also, it was, in retrospect, an alarmingly vivid shade of green.

5 Likes