A tweet about England's naan bread goes viral for all the wrong reasons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/01/a-tweet-about-englands-naan-bread-goes-viral-for-all-the-wrong-reasons.html

10 Likes

Fucksake. Curry is englands national food.

And it’s naan (naan means bread so no need to say it twice).

43 Likes

Now I want Peshwari Naan.

15 Likes

i don’t know what you’re talking about, some naan bread goes down perfectly dipped in chai tea

28 Likes

My ex used to make some fantastic sourdough naan. I asked her what her trick was for making such tasty flatbread. It was a naan-starter.

40 Likes

Personally, I just think the naan, and what looks like paneer looks delicious. I’ve always wanted an English curry, I imagine it’s quite unique.

5 Likes

Where’s my hands over my ears emoji!

8 Likes

Bread is so nice, you need to say it twice.

Also, the land of Torpenhow Hill doesn’t see what’s wrong with being redundant.

12 Likes

Marvel Comics GIF by Sony Pictures Animation

12 Likes

Everyone wants an empire, until it’s time to interact with the various cultures it was comprised of. :confused:

13 Likes

Like how two foods named after German cities (hamburger, frankfurter) are the USA’s national foods.

What?

Oh, right. . . pizza is our national dish. My bad.

14 Likes

Yeah, and India was for the Indians, so what’s your point?

See also: Pakistan, Bangladesh, Myanmar…

5 Likes

I’m obviously much more familiar with Irish curries but look up BIR cooking on video search to find out how to make it (British Indian Restaurant). Lot of good cooks out there.

As I have mentioned elsewhere before, Britain has a looooooonnnnng tradition of very cosmopolitan food.

ETA

And I’ll keep saying it all over many threads: Britain has a long tradition as a maritime state of having a lot of multicultural influence. It also is comparatively admirable in Europe as evidenced by the depressing “Being Black in Europe” reports. Britain is not the Brexit shits. It is so much more and better.

11 Likes

Why are you arguing with a hypothetical racist?

6 Likes

Someone needs to put them in their place! Hypotherical or not!

5 Likes

I could really go for that. I’ll just stop at the ATM machine for some cash. But wait, I forgot my PIN number!

9 Likes

Naan naan naan naan, hey hey hey…

4 Likes

No one can share the recipe. Everyone signed a naan-disclosure agreement.

16 Likes

Were they singing Give England Back to the English?

2 Likes

For many years here where I live in Australia there was an awesome Birmingham Indian restaurant called the Brum Balti. Enjoy your “Krakatoa” while enjoying all the Birmingham posters and placemats featuring bands like Dexies Midnight Runners. Would go again, 10 out of 10.

8 Likes