Re: "white people don't season"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/13/re-white-people-dont-seas.html

3 Likes

Stop. just stop.

First: Seasoning is SALT first and foremost. Yes Escoffier broke it down to other seasoning types, but any chef will tell you if its over or under seasoned it is about too much or too little salt.

Second: Bertoli oil is NOT the good stuff. If the italicized “is” was meant to denote sarcasm, fine. The best olive oil around is California Olive Ranch. hands down.

Third: almost every one of those bottles needs to be thrown out. Most pre-mixed spice rubs are mostly salt and sugar; and you have no idea how much or the quality of any of the other ingredients. It is not hard to keep good dry spices and powders to mix your own with the right proportions to add seasoning and flavor and use the salt for its intended purpose of replacing water content.

Sorry…I am ranting. I know. I am overly zealous when it comes to cooking.

35 Likes

I don’t know whether I should be pleased or ashamed that I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean.

20 Likes

I don’t see any McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning, which I feel is a must for fried eggs.

16 Likes

Could this be considered an example of “premium mediore”?

20 Likes

I actually own a large clock, too.

4 Likes

19 Likes

I zoomed in on the image and it appears as though many of these spices and seasoning are not in fact “unopened”.

6 Likes

it’s p obvious that this is a parody account…

It’s true. You can eat white people any time of the year.

35 Likes

My bank statements showing multiple purchases over time at Penzey’s would contradict that statement.

Enter racism into the world of spice. Penzey’s joins the resistance:

“On July 6, Penzeys Spices gave away free Mexican Vanilla Extract (with free shipping) in honor of Trump’s dubious comments made in reference to Mexican immigration and his continued desire to build a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico.”

13 Likes

JackNicholsonNodding.gif

10 Likes

You lazy bum

25 Likes

Except right after Labor Day?

3 Likes

41 Likes

The following are both necessary and sufficient:

1. Salt.
  2. Pepper.
  3. Chilli sauce.
  4. Anchovy sauce (I flit between Worcestershire sauce and Squid-brand Thai fish sauce).
  5. Garlic. Lots and lots of garlic.
8 Likes

How about Oregano though?

1 Like

Bleurrghh.

5 Likes

Salt yes. Pepper i’d say optional, i rarely use it and use other lightly spicy things to give it a little something. Generally paprika, red chilli powder, or red pepper flakes.

Anchovy sauce sure though i use balsamic vinegar for the most part. But that’s likely close enough to using similar types of sauces.

Hell yeah garlic.

I also often use onion and some tomato in most of my recipes

6 Likes