A video that explains the Heisenberg uncertainty principle

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/27/a-video-that-explains-the-heis.html

3 Likes

So Werner Heisenberg was driving down the road when a cop pulled him over.

“Do you have any idea how fast you were going?”

“No, but I know exactly where I am.”

6 Likes

I didn’t think that this guy had any principles.

Heisenberg

4 Likes

The version I heard was:

“Did you know you were going at 90 mph?”

“Great, now I’m lost.”

4 Likes

Choose a particle property (position) then choose a wave property (but make it obsure) say momentum. So something can’t be fully particle and wave at the same time - not quite so mysterious now… And yes in QM momentum can be a wave property (see DeBroglie’s relation)

1 Like

Hey now, no need for that. Quantum physics was happily propagating blobs of complex amplitude in Hilbert space for billions of years before you showed up. You’re the weird one, thinking the world is made of things like “solid objects” in “three spatial dimensions.”

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Particle and wave
Wave and particle
Where the hell is the definite article?

1 Like

That was a great explanation. I had to go back and review Fourier Transforms – also a super awesome explanation. I’ve used FFTs for a decade now and never quite got beyond “well we’re comparing the input function to a wide range of frequencies and some math-y magic happens and [hey look a shiny plastic bag dancing in the wind!] oh and here’s the transform!”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.