A physicist dismantles Terrence Howard's nonsensical "theory of everything"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/03/a-physicist-dismantles-terrence-howards-nonsensical-theory-of-everything.html

12 Likes

It’s the Dr Bronner school of metaphysics! AllOneGodFaith!

12 Likes

“ “I blame Joe Rogan. Because Rogan isn’t stupid. He believes that his audience is stupid.” Preach it, sister.“

Grifters, all the way down.

37 Likes

Including, possibly, Sabine Hossenfelder. She stepped in it last year when she did a video about trans youth and gender affirming care, a subject she is no more an expert in than Terrence Howard is in mathematics.

27 Likes

I have the strangest suspicion that “Howard” will not be joining “Lamarr” on the “actors noted for doing math of note” list.

Snark aside, are there any mathematical abstractions that manage to go somewhere without a working identity function; or is that one of the properties that’s either necessary to construct most results of any interest or which cannot avoid being implied by the internal consistency requirements of a system of any interesting size? Mathematics does give you the liberty of whatever wacky axioms you want; you just don’t get to keep them if they are not internally consistent; and nobody really cares if they can’t, at a minimum, be used to spin a complex web of implications.

11 Likes

Apart from having almost zero understanding of basic maths, this fuckwit also doesn’t know the difference between a click and a clique.

11 Likes

1.4 x 1.4 = 1.96
round them up or down and we get
1 x 1 = 2
simple

14 Likes

Not being able to book the late Gene Ray, Rogan had to settle for having Howard on his JAQ-off gateway to far-right conspiracism.

15 Likes

so, “for very large values of 1”

23 Likes

A V/R patent application (abandoned before review) in 2010 sounds quite late in the game for it to have been any kind of founding patent for everything else since then, but I haven’t looked at it. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

He mathed so poorly, I understand they’re bringing in Don Cheadle to take over the equation.

ETA: I just randomly stumbled on an appropriate gif and had to add it. I’m having a Cheadle kind of day and that’s a fine thing.

IMG_3843

28 Likes

I mean, that’s probably the one thing he isn’t wrong about. That he himself isn’t stupid is very much [citation needed], though

12 Likes

I find that, when she talks about physics, she is clear but very opinionated - it’s her field and her right - I might or might not agree, depending on the topic (but IANAP, TINPA).

When she has her ultracrepidarian excursions, well…
Her autism video was also :person_facepalming:

7 Likes

He remembers being in his mother’s womb? What the hell kinda flex is that?

10 Likes

26 Likes

But the Portal cosplay was cool, you have to admit.

1 Like

I believe that he believes that he remembers it, whether that’s true is a different thing. A casual search online puts the consensus that the earliest people remember is between 2-3 years old, my anecdotal data is around that time with my own memories.

6 Likes

Howard has said that he earned a PhD in chemical engineering from South Carolina State University in 2013, but he never attended SCSU and SCSU does not confer doctorates in chemical engineering. Instead, Howard was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters (DHL) from SCSU after speaking at its commencement ceremony in 2012.

19 Likes

That’s like chicken mogul Harland Sanders citing his military expertise because he was granted the purely ceremonial title of “Kentucky Colonel.”

10 Likes

Mr Howard seems to have gone a bit beyond mere Dunning-Kreuger Syndrome and well in to the Narcissistic Hallucination zone.

10 Likes