Here's a glimpse into the brain of a flat-earther

Originally published at: Here's a glimpse into the brain of a flat-earther | Boing Boing

4 Likes

One of things I worry a bit about is how do I know I’m not like him in some way? What makes me so sure about stuff? I guess there is always prediction. I can predict the sun will rise tomorrow. I can predict that tax breaks for the rich will give rise to increasing poverty levels and the breakdown of society. And both of those things come to pass!

Oh I feel a bit better now.

24 Likes

Here’s a glimpse into the brain of a flat-earther

A dark, echoing, and presumably flat cavity?

23 Likes

35 Likes

Or observation, like this picture I took of the recent lunar eclipse.

39 Likes

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

16 Likes

Fake!

Where’s the shadow of the elephants?

26 Likes

The Earth is actually a hollow shell and we’re walking around on the inside.

Proof: Look at the way your shoes bend. Checkmate.

17 Likes

Flat-earthers get all the press, but what about the cube-earthers, pyramid-earthers, etc?

16 Likes

Usually he’s able to maintain a straight face when he’s interviewing people and act like they’re not saying the dumbest shit, but he couldn’t keep it together on this one. This might actually be the dumbest thing I have ever heard any human being say ever. Wow.

15 Likes

Are this guy high? This is the kind of thing I might have said when I was 16 and was sharing some really good drugs…

Maybe that guy did a lot of acid, back in the hippie days.

13 Likes

You know, I actually found his explanation connecting it to rainbows to at least be vaguely internally-consistent. When there’s a rainbow in the sky, is there “one” rainbow, or is there a different rainbow for everybody? I’d say the latter: where you’re standing will make the rainbow appear to be in a different place. If the rainbow looks to me to be a mile away due North, it may also look to someone 3 miles away from me to be a mile due North of them. They can’t look over to see “my” rainbow.

(Possibly my attempt to make sense of what’s going on in his mind is influenced by my training to do interviews in the context of educational research. Boy do even intelligent people have mistaken ideas about what causes seasons, eclipses, and so on! But occasionally you can find some internally-consistent components, even if they result in something that is actually batshit.)

16 Likes

It’s of course possible that the gentleman is have a rather lovely laugh at the interviewer’s expense though.

7 Likes

It might be, but the way he earnestly barrels on indicates that he’s a lunatic (of the “flat moon” variety, no doubt). Flat-Earthers are their own special brand of idiot.

8 Likes

my tedious tendency to follow occam’s razor suggests that his espoused adherence to quite an anti-occam’s point of view suggests that he himself doesn’t actually (for tenuous application of the word “actually”) believe what he’s saying.

6 Likes

I’d like to try some of what he’s smoking.

8 Likes

I used to think that. But no, these people actually believe this shit. I promise you they do. It seems impossible, but they actually believe this nonsense because they cannot imagine the Earth is a sphere because they cannot see the curvature. So they come up with all kinds of insanity to explain everything else that could only be explained by the Earth being a sphere.

17 Likes

Please don’t start. We have enough trouble with them.

4 Likes

The media is Educated Stupid.

(A Time Cube reference, in case anyone didn’t catch that.)

And yes, like @danimagoo says, an awful lot of these people genuinely believe this bullshit. Even if they started out as just doing it for fun, they have slipped into the mental black hole.

7 Likes

i admire the certainty by which you can know the mechanisms of other people’s minds and should like to subscribe to your newsletter [lopsided wink emoji]

2 Likes