A woman is suing TripAdvisor after she fell off a camel

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/06/a-woman-is-suing-tripadvisor-a.html

2 Likes

Viator’s liability clause should make short work of this suit.

THE SUPPLIERS ARE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS AND NOT AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES OF ANY OF THE VIATOR GROUP COMPANIES. THE VIATOR GROUP COMPANIES ARE NOT LIABLE FOR THE ACTS, ERRORS, OMISSIONS, REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, BREACHES, NEGLIGENCE OR MISCONDUCT OF ANY SUCH SUPPLIERS OR FOR ANY PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR OTHER DAMAGES OR EXPENSES RESULTING THEREFROM OR OTHERWISE ARISING FROM ANY BOOKING OR USE OF A PRODUCT. THE VIATOR GROUP COMPANIES HAVE NO LIABILITY AND WILL MAKE NO REFUND IN THE EVENT OF ANY DELAY, CANCELLATION, OVERBOOKING, STRIKE, FORCE MAJEURE OR OTHER CAUSES BEYOND THEIR DIRECT CONTROL, AND THEY HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY ADDITIONAL EXPENSE, OMISSIONS, DELAYS, RE-ROUTING OR ACTS OF ANY GOVERNMENT OR AUTHORITY.

8 Likes

“Hey Flash! What do you call a three-humped camel?”

16 Likes

DO NOT TAUNT HAPPY FUN VIATOR!

yes that is a complete sentence

7 Likes

Good luck with that frivolous lawsuit and usually for activities like these its a “at your own risk” type of situation.

8 Likes

I predict this lawsuit will end with large payments made. To lawyers.

20 Likes

At least she’s going after the faceless corporation instead of trying to ruin the camel driver’s life.

3 Likes

She’s going after the entity that a) has money and b) is within US jurisdiction and c) may find it cheaper to settle than litigate.

4 Likes

She really should be suing those assholes responsible for gravity.

12 Likes

Do you mean Apple?

9 Likes

I didn’t realize pregnant camels were more dangerous.

1 Like

I sued the shit out of TripAdvisor when two cops robbed stop and frisked me right outside the premises.

I wish

Camels are mean fuckers. Be nice to them…

tumblr_ndgtgtEwls1s02vreo1_400

19 Likes

And she spilled her coffee on her lap.

3 Likes

People really need to educate themselves about the Liebeck case. She had a good claim for damages, because they were willfully negligent, and cause her pretty extensive damage. They kept the coffee too hot (and still do, and protect themselves by the messaging on their cups) and she got 3rd degree burns.

30 Likes

Yes, even if it seems obvious that camels are ornery animals, and duh, you could be hurt, don’t think that this will be an automatic slam-dunk for TripAdvisor.

1 Like

Yeah, yeah, it seems frivolous, but…let’s say that this this contractor had a well-known track record of using dangerous animals and getting people hurt, and other people had let TripAdvisor know about it, but they continued to funnel people there anyway. It’s possible this might not be quite as silly as it sounds on the surface.

Anybody who thinks that was a windfall for that woman needs to see the pictures of her burns and her medical bills. Corporations and their tort reform congressional employees have done a marvelous job over the last 30 years of portraying our court system as a big free-for-all where you can sue somebody for anything and the money just rolls in.

5 Likes

They’ll win as long as they cover their asses with warnings on the website, because we have a legal system that favors corporations over human beings.

7 Likes

The more you read about that case, the more I agree with the jurors and the plaintiff. She should have gotten the whole award.

I don’t think people understand that she lost her external genitals over this accident. When I think of consequences of spilling coffee, I would never consider that to even be a possibility. Horrifying!

7 Likes

But wouldn’t those people make that information available to TripAdvisor via the public review system? And so wouldn’t this woman have full access to that info before booking?