A woman perfectly explains why "two weeks' notice" is dead

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

7 Likes

It’s almost as if there’s no other meat deli any more, ain’t it?

They do make a decent Leberkässemmel, but my preferred breakfast is a Butterbreze.

Enough asides. If we keep this up we ought to open a new thread.

1 Like

Are you asking them to …explain?

Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars

Happy cake day!

9 Likes

Girl Smile GIF

11 Likes

We grew up with songs like this, so…

And the original version, but I like this one better!

boTh Sidez!!!

8 Likes

YES! I’ve said this for decades! If I screw up, my employer can fire me on the spot and I will be out that very day. If my employer screws up and I am forced to leave because of it, why do I owe them “two weeks notice”?

2 Likes

Some places can easily blackball you if you don’t give them what they want. It can be any kind of job too. Some companies are led by some really pissy folks.

2 Likes

Once I left a job on fairly short notice because I discovered my boss was trying to replace me, and the HR people were pretty surprised to hear that at my exit interview. I think she followed me out the door not long after!

At another place, I wanted to leave in good standing because my I wanted my coworkers in the department to keep sending me freelance work after I left (which they did for several years). So you have to make your calls according to who you think you’re going to burn.

8 Likes

I believe this has to do with how some countries have employment contracts. In the US, it doesn’t seem to be the norm beyond the vague and generally not enforceable non-compete contracts. Unless you got a contract like that, most places in the US can’t hold you up. Some try through “training contracts” and other such nonsense but I believe those can be contested in most cases.

2 Likes

A colleague once told me “I take blowtorches to my bridges. If I’m leaving, why would I ever want to work for that fucker again?”

I kinda agree.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the way it happened for me this month. Our assistant gave two week’s notice, but said she would continue working and train the new assistant. I recruited like mad, and was able to find our new assistant by the end of the two weeks. But that was lucky.

2 Likes

No actually. Because I’ve been forbidden to say anything other than that for so long that all I’m looking for is to find out if they were fired for cause (ie, the “are they eligible for rehire” someone else mentioned).

And if you are referencing a co-worker, they have ALSO probably been lectured to say “No comment” to everything.

1 Like

This will lead to a follow-up video on how the reference is dead. :wink:

Of course, not for all industries, segments, and org sizes. YMMV.

7 Likes

I don’t live in the US, so I have not experienced this, but I do find it strange.
I have never seen anyone fired and out of the office on the same day.
I have heard of some people being let go on short notice, but that seemed to do with specific sectors such as finance or marketing where there is the fear that the person being fired might “poach” clients.
Is it a fear of reprisals that drives this idea of out of the door on the same day?

2 Likes

Pretty much.

There are employers where it’s simply written into their HR handbook, and others who may be just nervous about keeping people around after giving them bad news. Employers may fear that a fired employee could sabotage systems or files, could cause dissent amongst the remaining employees, or could badmouth the company to vendors/clients. Essentially, since it’s usually not a balanced system, the employer expects about as much respect as they give the employees - zero.

5 Likes

funny you mention that, i still had PTO after the vacation, which they must pay out because we had a contract: the employee handbook. based upon that, and like you stated, they have a legal responsibility (wages).
also, just because a business transaction says something doesn’t mean it negates actual laws. case in point, when i met my wife her landlord had a clause in her month-to-month lease that she was required to put in 90 days notice of intent to end lease. she talked to her lawyer friend and he said this was BS. this contract could not supersede tenant rights laws. therefore, that she only has to put in 30 days notice.
so, how does a company have any say in ‘specifically forbiding’ when an employee can quit? sounds like more BS to me.

If someone is fired in the States but still has access to the workplace, they could show up with guns.

No, seriously. It’s happened too often.

Free-est country in the world! For certain definitions of the word ‘free’.

7 Likes

Part of it is to prevent theft of proprietary data. Someone could easily copy a ton of data and walk out the door with it.

4 Likes

At tech companies this is most of the reason. They don’t want you cloning the git repo on your way out and taking it to your next job. Of course it’s a hilarious fiction because every engineer already has copies of everything, either because they’ve worked at home or because they simply don’t want to have to debug this same stuff again the next time someone asks them to write it. Or… um… cough so I’ve heard. blink

Getting laid off is also an emotional experience for most people, so it makes sense to get them out of the office quickly. I’ve been on both ends of layoffs lots of times and there are often tears, anger, confusion, etc. The person usually doesn’t want to be around the office after that and it’s best for all to get them out before they say or do something everyone would regret.

4 Likes

I get that, but then again, you could copy all these files when you are working and keep them for when you want to do some damage.
I would have thought a solid contract would be enough to dissuade anyone since they risk a heavy court case and hefty payments. I mean everyone is afraid of stuff like NDAs, right?