Ablism and Disablism

Why do airlines keep doing shit like this?

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

7 Likes

And less happily:

6 Likes

Accommodations are a thing. “The lights are too bright” isn’t a complaint, it’s a request for reasonable accommodations, and there can be medically dangerous consequences when they’re dismissed out of hand.

8 Likes
10 Likes

I used a wheelchair from about age 12 or 13 until I was 21 or 22. I could also stand and walk short distances during most of that time, although sometimes I wore leg braces which were obviously pretty visible. But my first two years in college, I didn’t have the braces, and I could walk. I never once had anyone question whether I really needed the chair or a handicapped parking spot or anything. Sometimes I swear people have gotten dumber lately.

8 Likes

I’m recovering a broken heel. I’m at the stage where I could go into town and back on the bus without my boot, but the boot makes it absolutely clear that I need a seat on the bus.

6 Likes

Just brings up again that not all disabilities are visibly apparent. Pulmonary and cardiac issues can severely impact stamina to the point that it’s not ability to stand or walk, but the ability to keep standing or walking. Far as i am concerned, if you abuse that privilege, that’s between you and your conscience, your higher being, karma, whatever. It’s not my problem, and not my place to judge. For all the judgy folks, who frequently seem to have christofascist leanings, “Judge not, lest ye also be judged” seems to have been left out of their Bible.

12 Likes

I arrived at Costco yesterday evening to return some stuff to find one person at the counter, seemingly well underway to being done. 15 minutes later the clerk had still not finished that return, nor acknowledged the line that formed behind me, several people of which finally gave up in frustration. I asked one of the other people behind the counter if they could help. No. So I sat down on the floor in Costco in a white skirt, because 15 minutes standing with no support was well past my abilities (walking is fine, but not standing). You wouldn’t know it to look at me.

Considering the grief I’ve gotten over the years, I know that people don’t usually claim to be disabled if they aren’t, because you have to be desperate to ask for help in a culture that does not care.

12 Likes

Not to mention a culture that practically deifies self sufficiency so that many of us raised in it have trouble asking for help, even when we need it. I’m getting better about that, but I’ll still struggle way more than I should before I ask for help.

11 Likes

As someone whose profession is reliant of people asking for help and accepting it in turn, let me emphasize just how sadly true this is. The cowboy mythos has damaged far too many souls, and needs to be stopped.

12 Likes

I think it’s that some have gotten less empathetic…

11 Likes

And that anything that makes a person “other” makes them a target. The disabled were singled out for disposal in the Holocaust just as other minorities were. Fascists view empathy as a weakness and weed it out at every opportunity.

11 Likes

Action T4. Easily considered the test run for the holocaust.

In its area it was wrapped up because they’d murdered 100%* of the disabled population. The caveat being that this was people in psych hospitals, and the rumour network resulted in some families pulling their relatives out of hospital.

The Doctors’ Trial post-war had docs defending themselves by pointing out that USA docs steralised “undesirables”.

It’s one of the reasons I welcome the change from “Asperger’s Syndrome” to “Autism Spectrum …”. Asperger was separating people who could be worked to death vs those who were murdered straight away.

There’s some positivity. Many doctors risked their lives to certify that their patients could live.

7 Likes

(xpost to Fuck today.)

8 Likes

That’s fucking awful. That poor kid.

5 Likes

This image is going around social media. I hate everything about this design, but the biggest insult is that the designers are scapegoating wheelchair users as the reason for installing hostile architecture designed to deny unhoused people a place to lie down.

100% guarantee no actual wheelchair users were consulted in the design for this bench, which makes no sense in any context other than the anti-homeless aspect. And even in that context it fails because they might as well have just left the middle seat in place and used the armrests to render it unusable as a bed.

13 Likes

Yeah, if a wheelchair user is in a park alone and wants to stop for a bit, they aren’t usually going to go park next to a bench. You’ll probably just find a quiet spot and stop. If you’re there with friends, and they sit on a bench, you’re going to park yourself facing them, because it makes it easier to talk.

Source: me, from my childhood

14 Likes