Absolutely spectacular first-ever air-to-air images of supersonic jets' shockwaves interacting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/06/absolutely-spectacular-first-e.html

11 Likes

…Neat…

8 Likes

You can do Background Oriented Schlieren if you have a computer and a camera (a phone camera is not quite adequate).

3 Likes

Chemtrails confirmed.

Nah, seriously, I love stuff like this.

6 Likes

30 get away from each other? Why aren’t they flying in metric?

2 Likes

Very mesmerizing pics. Beautiful.

3 Likes

I’m surprised that the shockwaves are so obtuse. I imagined them forming a sharper cone. Science!

4 Likes

I don’t get that part either. How fast are the shockwaves supposedly propagating?

EDIT: it occurs to me now that these planes are flying only slightly faster than the speed of sound, and that the shockwaves would form right angles if the planes were flying at precisely √2 × the speed of sound, and 60° angles if the planes were flying at Mach 2.

5 Likes

The blue one looks like the same plane twice. I mean, it’s NASA, so it’s not. But still.

2 Likes

Not interferometry, but also gorgeous, and really simple. I did this when I was polishing an 8" telescope mirror when young. You have a tin with a car headlight in it and a pinhole in the side, the mirror, and a razor blade. You darken the room, and when you get your eye in the right place you can see all the deviations from a point focus as though they were solid and lit from the side. I could see my finger-prints where I had touched the glass ten minutes ago and warmed it. I could see air currents.

I also cut my nose on the razor-blade.

17 Likes

Well, it’s taken a while for me to stop laughing out loud after reading that.

7 Likes

Great project!

Curse you though, for leading me to Physics Forums. I’m going to lose a chunk of productive time browsing over there.

4 Likes

Are you kidding? They faked the Moon landings and have been lying to us by saying the Earth is round!

:crazy_face:

4 Likes

It strikes me that if you know the altitude (and hence the speed of sound), you should be able to figure out exactly how fast the plane is going based on the angle of the sonic boom cone. The length of the plane might help with the calculation but I don’t think it’s necessary…

1 Like

So, just this past Monday, people all across Missouri heard a loud boom or explosion that rattled windows. Reddit, Twitter, Nextdoor and FB all lit up about it. Turns out it was likely a sonic boom caused by a military aircraft Boeing (which has a St. Louis facility) is developing and testing. The company’s statement says they were testing at that time, but does not mention the sonic boom. Anyway, if that’s what it was, it was the first one I’ve ever heard.

Man I love those beautiful T-38s / F-5s. What a graceful looking plane.

3 Likes

Saw a neat vid featuring slow-mo schlieren photography here:

2 Likes

futurama-bender-neat

4 Likes

From growing up in Germany in the tail end of the Cold War, I’d say you can usually tell when you hear a sonic boom but then again I suppose most people don’t have them happening about 50 ft over roof-top height…

4 Likes

This is beautiful and it kind of reminds me of a color field painting by Mark Rothko.

Science FTW!

3 Likes