ACA isn't enough: single-payer is a feminist issue

Okay. Done.

4 Likes

Hint:

I was going to post a ‘did I miss it’ gif, but clearly I didn’t miss much, at all.

Reading all the replies was pretty hilarious, though.

14 Likes

jon-snow-slurps

6 Likes

Dude… feminist =/= being a woman. Just like being anti-racist doesn’t mean one is black.

If you don’t think women should have equal rights than you are not a feminist.

16 Likes

You do know that Denmark has a progressive tax system, meaning that the people making over 300,000 or so pay the top income rate, right?

http://www.cfe-eutax.org/taxation/personal-income-tax/denmark

I believe that only any amounts over the top tax rate are at that rate - so up to that it’s taxed at the lower rate.

and for that, they are also some of the happiest people with some of the better health care outcomes, and high standard of living… And they are quite happy with that.

And:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2016-01-20/why-danes-happily-pay-high-rates-of-taxes

But yeah, it’s much better to let people die and struggle working 3 jobs just to pay rent and put food on the table. Clearly.

19 Likes

More like #FuckYouIMightGetMineButAtLeastYouOtherKindOf"People"GetScrewed*

* Full Disclosure: I don’t know how hashtags work.

9 Likes

You must have fascinating views on gender and sexuality as well.

14 Likes

I’m betting he has some pretty predictable views on a wide range of subjects-- probably all of them edgy and not politically correct, watch out!

14 Likes

13 Likes

Why is it a feminist issue? It seems like an everybody issue. There are plenty of poor people who aren’t female. Personally I would really like single payer because it’s fair, and works, for everyone.

2 Likes

Being a feminist issue doesn’t mean that’s the only way to look at single payer… it’s just one way to look at it.

15 Likes

I’ve always wondered why anyone would elect someone into a position that has flat out told you they don’t want to do it. If a suitor for a receptionist position said ‘Hi my name is Frank, and I believe all telephones are the work of the devil.’ Who in their right mind would hire that person. Yet voters keep electing anti-government politicians into government. It is very weird.

7 Likes

Feminism isn’t just about women. A lot of people who aren’t women benefit from the push for feminist issues.

As @mindysan33 said, feminism is a way of looking at it. Women are generally the ones who end up sacrificing careers when they stay home with a sick kid – and a kid whose parents can’t afford to take them to a doctor is more likely to get seriously sick than one who can see a doctor regularly. When healthcare is tied to employment, it means less insurance availability for those working part-time or minimum wage jobs… the kind you end up in when you sacrficed your career because your only healthcare option for your kid was the ER, so you could only get them there as a last resort.

Women are also overwhelmingly discriminated against when it comes to pre-existing conditions. Pregnancy is considered a pre-existing condition.† Migraines are another one. God help you if you have something like endomitriosis and change jobs at any time after getting it even looked into. Do men benefit when pre-existing condition clauses disappear under a UHC plan? Absolutely. But women are being discriminated against more and in more ways, which makes it feminist. Is it solely feminist? No. But few things are. But there is a large feminist component.

† The majority of those affected by these listed “conditions” are women. Men are very much a minuscule percentage, no disrespect to any man who is.

15 Likes

Why is police misconduct a racial issue? Daniel Shaver, for example, was white. But black people are disproportionately likely to be shot by police in questionable (at best) circumstances.

At root, feminism and Black Lives Matter are both human-rights movements. They just emphasise the fact that human rights still apply even when the human in question is not a white male.

16 Likes

One interesting observation about the rest of the wealthy world is that their tax systems are actually usually not a lot more progressive than the US. They differ in that they provide a lot more public benefits directly to people (universal healthcare with low out-of-pocket costs being the big one).

This suggests that we should focus more on providing benefits than progressive taxation to follow the model of the rest of the wealthy world.

(Shouldn’t prevent us from opposing more regressive taxation, like the current republican proposal).

1 Like

Do you object to high taxes because you don’t like their effect on people or because you have a moral objection to taxation?

If it’s the former, then I might point out that people in Denmark and Sweden are a lot happier and healthier than Americans, and that post-war America (you know, that huge economic boom) had even higher tax rates. Or I might point out that if you plot take home pay vs overall tax rate for developed nations you’ll see there’s basically no correlation, and the idea that having higher taxes means that people will have less money to spend doesn’t pan out in reality.

If it’s the latter then I guess I we don’t worship the same gods.

As someone else pointed out, the article about how bad Canadian healthcare is was saying that “better than America” was too low a bar. Basically it’s saying the American system is a dismal nightmare. The one that says the UK has “one of” the worst healthcare systems in the world refers to an OECD report that shows that America is also doing very badly.

Your own sources show that even when single-payer is done badly it’s still better than the US system. I thought you were trying to argue that single-payer wouldn’t make things better.

15 Likes

But that can’t be true! They’re foreign! /s

barack-obama-true

9 Likes

Talk about shooting one’s own foot.

3 Likes

That’s not something you’d want to do in the US unless you like going bankrupt.

6 Likes