ACLU sues FBI after it put man on the No Fly List for refusing to become an informant

Originally published at: ACLU sues FBI after it put man on the No Fly List for refusing to become an informant | Boing Boing

13 Likes

18 Likes

So glad to see the FBI is back in the saddle, or did they ever fall off…

14 Likes

No, they never missed a beat, it’s just that post-9-11 they had more opportunities to do this kind of stuff, so we’re more likely to hear about it.

12 Likes

I grew up during the Cold War, and this is the kind of bullshit my parents would tell me went on in the Eastern Bloc, and that was why they were the baddies and we were the goodies.

28 Likes

Seems like this is the sort of behavior that would lead you to turn against a country if you didn’t have particularly harsh feelings before.

I wonder how many double agents they create with this kind of bullshit…

15 Likes

The United States has done everything they accused the Soviet Union of doing, at least once.
Sometimes more.

10 Likes

Cops are going to be cops, no matter what level they are on. The FBI are cops but more so.

4 Likes

Recently saw an episode of FBI where exactly this cruft went on…

2 Likes

are_we_the_baddies.gif

8 Likes

May Mr. Chebli and the ACLU prevail.

15 Likes

The takeaway seems to be that when the Feds a̶s̶k̶ require you to become an informant, make them state in writing (signed by the head of whatever TLA you’re dealing with) that you’re not guilty of all the things they threatened you with. Oh, and insist on a separate letter, in triplicate, stating that you’re not actually on the No Fly List.

After that, your conversations should go something like this:

TLA: “Anything to report today, Agent X?”
You: “Nope, nothing to report today, Agent Y. Have a nice day!”

3 Likes

Forcing someone to be an informant seems to imply that they expected information. “Nothing to report” is likely not an answer they’d be too keen on hearing.

5 Likes

Yes, about this sort of thing, a naive question: can one simply record the conversations, then go to an attorney and threathen the FedBurIncomp with the wrath of Crom if they try again? Or just splatter the goodies all over the net? I know lawyers are expensive, but such behaviour is so repellent and illegal, there MUST be some way of defending oneself.

5 Likes

You can always find vacuum cleaner parts…

6 Likes

I recommend sending regular donations to help the ACLU continue their work. They are doing good for the country.

5 Likes

Brilliant film. I loved it so much I borrowed a library copy of the book. The book is allright: rather pedestrian, and completely serious - not at all funny. It surprised me that such a book was chosen to create a successful comedy.

1 Like

There should be some sort of a criminal charge on the FBI agents who are doing this

2 Likes

“Dude, we’re in the middle of a pandemic. I was at home all day. NOTHING. TO. REPORT.”

2 Likes

Well, Jackson and Matthau? Safe hands indeed. The book was darker I think, but they lightened it up to make a light-natured spy story, which is quite rare and welcome.

DON’T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT! I SAID NO!

1 Like