Acting student Lisa Gilroy performed Doctor Evil's monologue in class, and nobody noticed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/20/acting-student-lisa-gilroy-performed-doctor-evils-monologue-in-class-and-nobody-noticed.html

2 Likes

I mean, it was fun, but not sure it warrants an HBO special.

My kid does acting classes and I’ve seen them goof on taking comedic works and play them serious. It usually is pretty fun.

3 Likes

i also was beaten with reeds.

3 Likes

Sometimes when I perform someone else’s song people will say “you’re playing it wrong!”

No, I’m playing it the way I want it to sound.

6 Likes

I don’t believe for a second that “no one noticed.”

This is one of the most widely quoted monologues from one of the late 90’s most popular movies. Unless her acting class is populated entirely by the residents of Sentinel Island, people noticed.

4 Likes

Welllll, you would be surprised what younger people are unaware of.

It is our job as parents to expose them to the good stuff.

11 Likes

I found it amusing but not sure i liked the dramatic take on it. Dr Evil’s monologue is said in a matter of fact way which makes it great. Still i love the choice in picking that monologue, A+ on that alone :slight_smile:

So she just buzzed right through the “…named Wilma ritualistically shaved my testicles” bit?

4 Likes

About 2003 or so I was at an industry conference, and we broke out in groups to develop ideas for what our strategic plan needed. Each group had a whiteboard. I tallied our group’s ideas on ours and added, puckishly, I thought, “More cowbell.”

When I presented our ideas, I think I heard one slight chuckle, that’s it.
Lana Kane’s sad trombone

4 Likes

When she says “no one noticed” I assume she means “everyone knew I was doing a bit from a movie but none of the young acting students in my class were familiar with/remembered that particular scene?”

1 Like

Am I the only one who thought, “they didn’t notice she did a monologue?” Wouldn’t it be better if the headline read “… and nobody recognized it?”. I will stand over her alone with my pedantry.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the right take. Clever idea, but very acting-class level of work. Not, truth be told, that I could do better, mind you, and I’ve taken a bunch of acting classes in my day. You can learn to be a better actor, but you can’t learn to be clever. So she could well have a nice career ahead of her!

1 Like

Which means most of her fellow students were either not born yet or were babies when it had its pop culture moment. So this only leaves the teacher. If they are slightly stuffy and look down upon that sort of thing it’s entirely possible they wouldn’t recognise it.

2 Likes

I thought so too but the rest of her stuff is pretty good. The two bros waking up after camping is SNL worthy at the very least.

edit: including link b/c the more i listen to it the funnier it gets: https://twitter.com/TheLisaGilroy/status/1316484634490806272

1 Like

OK, I went and checked that out. That was pretty hilarious. I wish her luck!

What? No shorn scrotum. I hear they’re quite breathtaking…

“Her” who? Ms. Gilroy?

And if you’re ‘standing over her,’ then how are you alone?

:wink:

4 Likes

Damn these fat fingers!!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.