Adafruit interviews Tai Lopez, new owner of RadioShack

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/12/adafruit-interviews-tai-lopez-new-owner-of-radioshack.html

1 Like

“back”
It’s owned by Retail Ecommerce Ventures, a company that buys bankrupt retailers and props them up as largely online stores. They also own Pier 1, Dress Barn, and The Franklin Mint, among others.

3 Likes

I am so fascinated by this. Literally, all the value of these companies was in their branding. He was able to sidestep the debt, and now can essentially let the meritocracy rebuild the business behind the brand. Doesn’t Ryan’s Toys essentially do this already with its current branding success? The mere ingenuity of this guy is enough to build these brands back up through word of mouth among young people raised on Amazon. Is he really the only person to think of this? Mind blown, or perhaps I am just a slacker idiot.

1 Like

wait… are you saying they will not honor my Radio Shack battery club card?? [brandishing my George Costanza approved wallet]

3 Likes

Wake me when they go back to selling loose components rather than those accursed ‘variety packs’ of one resistor you need and nine you absolutely never will.

4 Likes

here in my RADIOSHACK

2 Likes

I too have 47 lamborghinis in my lamborghini account.

1 Like

One thing that I noticed about Radio Shack, even almost to the end, was that it was in just about every shopping mall of any size. You could tell if a mall was dying by its Radio Shack being closed.

It was the store I made a beeline for back in the early 1980s, of course, when the family took a shopping trip. TRS-80s and all sorts of other cool stuff!

3 Likes

As long as they re-launch the TRS-80 model 3, I’m happy.

3 Likes

Finally I will be able to pick up more crystals for my 27Mhz CB.

3 Likes

“Fond” memories of purchasing batts from RS b&m store and still being pressured for name, address, and phone number.

1 Like

This caught me by surprise. I feel like I was just in one. COVID time warp.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.