Adam Horovitz gets it

This shit isn’t really hard…

16 Likes

Fuck yeah.

RIP MCA

15 Likes

Adam Horovitz is a stand up guy. I love what he says here:

Sexism is deeply rooted in our history and society that waking up and stepping outside of it is like I’m watching ‘Night of the Living Dead Part Two’ all day every day. Listening to the lyrics of this song, one might say that the Beastie Boy ‘Fight for Your Right to Party’ guy is a hypocrite. Well, maybe; but in this fucked up world all you can hope for is change, and I’d rather be a hypocrite to you than a zombie forever.

Also, top notch first comment on that link:

“I have also heard that his dad is a hypocrite that smokes 2 packs a day.”

15 Likes

It probably helps being married to Kathleen Hannah!

7 Likes

Yep, love her too!

5 Likes

Again and again and again and again…
The accusations against [insert name] come as no surprise to members of the [insert group] community.

Anyway, a big thumbs up for Adam.

3 Likes

Girls – all I really want is girls
And in the morning it’s girls
'Cause in the evening it’s girls

I like the way that they walk
And it’s chill to hear them talk
And I can always make them smile
From White Castle to the Nile

Back in the day
There was this girl around the way
She liked my home-piece MCA
He said he would not give her play
I asked him, “Please?” – he said, “You may.”
Her pants were tight and that’s ok
If she would dance, I would DJ
We took a walk down to the bay

I hope she’ll say
“Hey, me and you should hit the hay!”
I asked her out, she said “No way!”
I should’ve probably guessed her gay
So I broke North with no delay
I heard she moved real far away
That was two years ago this May
I seen her just the other day
Jockin’ Mike D. to my dismay

Girls – to do the dishes
Girls – to clean up my room
Girls – to do the laundry
Girls – and in the bathroom
Girls – that’s all I really want is girls
Two at a time – I want girls
With new wave hairdos – I want girls
I ought to whip out my – girls, girls, girls, girls, girls!

note: I’m glad at least one Beastie Boy has evolved past this. I never liked the 2 Live Crew stuff that was like this either.

MCA died in 2012. Mike D & Ad-Rock are still kickin’ it.

My mistake.

2 Likes

…all good…

That one I giggled at back when it came out as I saw it as over the top parody… now even though it still is that I cringe at it.

3 Likes

Unlike a lot of unrepentant enablers of sexism, the Beastie Boys apparently evolved:

“Sexism is deeply rooted in our history and society that waking up and stepping outside of it is like I’m watching ‘Night of the Living Dead Part Two’ all day every day. Listening to the lyrics of this song, one might say that the Beastie Boy ‘Fight for Your Right to Party’ guy is a hypocrite. Well, maybe; but in this fucked up world all you can hope for is change, and I’d rather be a hypocrite to you than a zombie forever.”

5 Likes

And a major reason they will always be in my playlist. One of the few acts out there that every new release has been better than the last one at least for me anyway. It is hard to pick a favorite.

3 Likes

Fwiw they’ve collectively addressed this stuff in numerous ways, including changing the lyrics to girls when they’d perform live.

But it’s a long form transition, think about Sure Shot, which came out in 94

And then by 2000 when they used their platform at the VMA’s (p sure it was the vma’s) to talk about sexual assault at Woodstock and creating safe spaces for women at concerts.

I think they’d be the first to admit that they ain’t perfect, but hey, it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s the read I have of them, too. They started as a high school rebellion and transitioned to adulthood. Their later stuff is really good. And many of their instrumentals are all around hip-hop/acid jazz masterpieces.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.