Adblock will cache popular Javascript libraries, meaning adblocked pages will be faster and less janky

I thought I knew that but I wasn’t certain, I had to go check both their websites. The logos and the names are so similar.

I also dumped any version of adblock years ago. UBlock Origin does the trick for me and, hey, if page loading is a tad slow, I can fucking live with that.

1 Like

JavaScript was invented by Netscape. There was some collaboration with Sun, but they didn’t make it.

1 Like

The problem with NoScript is that it will irritate the vast majority of users. For those that actually know how to use it, it works well, but face it, most people will be irritated by it because it will screw up their normal type of usage and they can’t be bothered to make it work. It’s great for geeks tho.

1 Like

I actually turned it off in a Huff I hated the new interface so much. I’ve switched it on again now. I do wish UX design didn’t equal ‘hiding all the buttons’ though.

2 Likes

Yeah okay okay, I got my history slightly wrong. That doesn’t mean it’s not a crappy little scripting language that for some ill defined reason everything is made out of these days.

[edit]

Ill-defined = thanks Google. [edit] I forgot Microsoft.

Is that noscript v10 for the new look firefox? That’s the main reason i haven’t upgraded yet, i’ve not been reading great things about it on the noscript forums. The interface does look hideous actually. :confused:

1 Like

Technically, whether you cache jQuery or not isn’t going to make a difference in how you experience someone site. The jQuery code is at most 100kb when minified, assuming your browser hasn’t cached it already. (Not to mention that caching jQuery isn’t going to do anything if the site your visiting isn’t using jQuery)

My biggest question is why is this being added to an ad blocker? As other have stated, caching is a fundamental part of the http protocol. Caching a super common library is not going to help block ads, and the caching should already be done by your browser.

@Rotaryd7:
The idea is to prevent tracking. Even if your browser has a js library cached, it may still send a if-modified-since request to the CDN, and that allows the CDN to correlate your visits to otherwise unrelated websites and begin building a profile of your browsing habits. The extension prevents that.

So, yeah, that’s not “ad blocking” per se, but it makes sense if you take the bigger-picture view that the extension is targeted towards people who want no part of “surveillance capitalism,” neither the ads nor the surveillance behind them. A fair proportion of the things on the block lists aren’t ads, but rather trackers. This is just another step toward blocking tracking. But “surveillance capitalism–blocker” is a mouthful, so we still say “ad-blocker.”

(Just in case anyone reading this missed my prior comment: I don’t think so highly of AdBlock. If you want this functionality, use Decentraleyes instead. It works on more browsers, has a larger list of cached libraries, and plays well with uBlock Origin, which is a superior ad-blocker.)

2 Likes

It is hideous, and irritating as fuck.

2 Likes

As an afterthought, have you tried umatrix? I’m using it with the pale moon browser and liking it a lot, it’s from the same developer as ublock origin. Might be worth trying out because the new noscript just doesn’t appear to offer as much control as the old version did.

But what does it do when the library changes? It’s going to be out of sync with the website. I guess maybe it can check once a day out of band from the website?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.