Site tracks whether uBlock Origin currently bypasses YouTube's anti-adblocking shenanigans

Originally published at: Site tracks whether uBlock Origin currently bypasses YouTube's anti-adblocking shenanigans | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I switched to Brave browser when Firefox + Ublock quit working. No issues

5 Likes

I haven’t had any issues with YT blocking my uBlock Origin, at least yet.

Knocks on wood. :fist_right: :wood:

7 Likes

I’ve had a few hiccups on Firefox, but they seem to solve the issue quite quickly. :+1:

2 Likes

Being in the UK timezone I’ve had basically no problems with Firefox and uBlock. Youtube just works as it always has for me (ie no ads)

3 Likes

If you manually block the elements that do the adblocker popup then it doesn’t matter if uBlock’s filter needs updating or not. The only annoyance i’ve run into is that when uBlock is behind on their update and i try to watch a video it’ll autopause after a half second and i have to hit play again and the comments don’t load (because the popup that i’ve manually blocked is pausing the video), when the filter is up to date everything works perfectly.

4 Likes

Recently I noticed some scrolljacking happening on YouTube, which I assume was related to their efforts to thwart ad blockers. Anyway, long story short, did you know that UBlock Origin lets you disarm event handlers?

4 Likes

Sheepishly, I must admit that I’m a YouTube Premium subscriber, so don’t see the regular ads.

But even that doesn’t stop content creators crowbarring sponsored content in to their videos, and for that, I’ve got SponsorBlock which is basically magic.
Combine that with Clickbait Remover for YouTube, and I’ve got a pretty good YouTube experience.

Still, if I’m subscribing, I shouldn’t need to use those extensions.

1 Like

Setting VPN to Thetford now …

5 Likes

basically everything breaks eventually… time will smell…

What I find get lost in this back and forth is that ads are needed but users need to be heard when we say what we don’t want (for me that’s horror, betting, trailers…). I think there is a middle ground but tech is not willing to give up any power.

1 Like

I’ll stop using ad-blockers when the black hats stop using ads to try and hack computers, which won’t happen until the software and operating system programmers stop making software with big gaping security holes and easily exploitable bugs (or any security issues.) I’m not expecting that in my lifetime.

If Youtube is blocking adblockers, and a person’s system gets hacked and your data compromised, are they financially and/or legally liable? Right now the answer is a definite “NO!” and as such they have no right or even moral high ground to shut off what is, in the end, a security system that does a pretty good job of stopping attacks. If that changes, then I’ll consider letting their ads through, but until then . . . I’m using Ghostery and a couple of bolt-on ad-blockers, and it seems to work well. I think I’ll keep doing that.

5 Likes

I’d happily pay for Youtube premium if they stopped massively raising the price by force-bundling it with Youtube music, which I do not need.

The ad situation on YT has been getting considerably more atrocious, and I bet there are a lot of folks like me who would be willing to fork over a few bucks to make it all go away, but can’t because YT refuses to allow people to pay just for no ads. So, adblockers like this continue to proliferate.

It’s a parallel with blu-ray, where the blu-ray experience is so much worse than the ripped blu-ray experience (media errors, unskippable trailers and notices, etc) that the pirated version is actually an improvement over the full, paid product. Adblockers are becoming that for YT now.

8 Likes

I’m using Brave and recently I started getting the pre-roll adverts. But I am not on the latest version (being stranded by my OS and perfectly functioning hardware which can go no further).

1 Like

Be cautious. Thetford is not far from Scarfolk

3 Likes

The reduced YouTube consumption has been great for me. Thanks, Google!

2 Likes

You can’t scare me! I’ve visited Norwich, at Christmas time, in a snowstorm! (Which despite my general disinterest in Christmas as a whole, I found rather delightful.)

2 Likes

Ironically, I guess they made a recent update 2 hours ago and uBlock isn’t working now. Shame, but it looks like they are working on it?

If they dropped the price to 5 or 6 bucks a month I might consider it paying for Youtube.

Yes replying to my own post.

Brave is pretty cool. I was distressed when this shit went down about not being able to YouTube at work anymore (as I listen to RA or HOR or HATE podcast while working (and by “listen to” I mean fucking blast :metal:)) because I’m locked out of admin privileges to install new software. Turns out Brave browser can install without the admin privileges!

Hail Satan!

3 Likes

…and there goes ‘uBlock origin’ down (~wednesday). that is, suddenly: “Ad blockers violate YouTube’s Terms of Service” where a couple of hours ago, fine and dandy. -sigh- cat and mouse continues.

1 Like