Add bribery to the crimes "genius" crypto scammer Bankman-Fried is charged with

Originally published at: Add bribery to the crimes "genius" crypto scammer Bankman-Fried is charged with | Boing Boing

3 Likes

so much criming for a man of his tender age.

20 Likes

If he worked for a real company, as opposed to one that he and the other members of his polycule apparently dreamed up in a Discord chat, he’d have had to sit through multiple instructional videos on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.

After watching a lot of mandatory training videos at my current job, I may not remember the fine detail of all the compliance requirements, but I can now reliably spot the “sleazy white guy who’s about to commit a crime” in each video.

17 Likes

I’m surprised that he paid the bribe in crypto instead of a currency more trusted by Chinese officials, such as Rolex.

8 Likes

FCPA ain’t no joke…

Also, if the penalties are considered “willful violations,” i.e., the violation includes false or misleading statements in FCPA-related reporting requirements, there are additional possible penalties: Individuals can be fined up to $5,000,000 and a prison sentence of up to 20 years, while entities can be fined up to $25,000,000.

7 Likes

Oh yes.

On the other hand, given how screwed he already is, a clear and egregious FCPA violation might not even move the needle on the How Fucked Is SBF-o-Meter, which is currently pegged firmly in the red zone.

Considering everything else he’s done, it would be sort of weird if he hadn’t also violated the FCPA. I’d wonder if the investigators had missed something.

15 Likes

How do you freeze a crypto account?

1 Like

Not surprisingly, Studiously Schlubby Sammy was as corrupt as any slick, bespoke-suited and well-coiffed executive of a resource extraction multi-national.

4 Likes

Because crypto is so unsuited for use in banking or commerce it’s all held in [strike]banks[/strike]exchanges that are totally not banks in that they believe they are not subject to laws but of course they are.

7 Likes

News Flash: No individual person is more clever than the collective. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

He put the Chinese officials he bribed at high risk of prison or a Chinese government bullet in the head.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.