Add Kewpie mayonnaise + 1 egg to instant ramen for extra kokumi

Originally published at: Add Kewpie mayonnaise + 1 egg to instant ramen for extra kokumi | Boing Boing

2 Likes

You need to be watching “Emmymade” videos for LOTS of ramen hacks - Make CHEAP Ramen LUXURIOUS | Kewpie Mayo & Garlic Hack - YouTube

2 Likes

I’ll co-sign on Emmymade, fellow “Lovely”. ^____^

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for a thread like this to come along. Instant ramen ends up being my go-to for lunch a few times a week and I’m always looking to make it better and find the best brands. Who’s got opinions on this?

I’m gonna check out the Emmymade, as well.

3 Likes

I think this exact hack was posted here once before, although I’m not sure I saw it here. I always make ramen this way now and usually add some grilled chicken etc. It’s really quite nice.

3 Likes

I am a fan of adding peanut butter to any “spicy” ramen. Also, eggs. And canned corn. And basically whatever else you have on hand :crazy_face:.

8 Likes

Interesting, would never have thought of it but I can see it working

3 Likes

If you’re into Thai-style peanut sauce it may give you that sort of energy. Enjoy!

2 Likes

In art school I had a Japanese friend named Shinya that changed everything for me when he asked why I only eat the noodles; I told him that’s the only part that is worth eating and I must have offended him deeply, because we had a deep discussion on what Ramen is, and why it’s called “noodle soup”. Shinya turned everything upside down when he explained that the Japanese look at it the other way around, meaning the noodles are there to help get the soup in your mouth, hence all the slurping. I began to look at soup differently from that point on, and life has been all the better afterwards. I had a teacher at that same art school that said “perception is reality”, and in this case changing my perception really did change the fabric of reality. ^____^

8 Likes

I became aware of the same thing the first time I ate real ramen, which was a solid 25 years after I started eating the instant stuff. I don’t always keep all the broth, but I do always leave a little to keep things more flavourful. I definitely wish I’d figured this out sooner.

3 Likes

Behold! My arteries are hardening!

1 Like

People used to tell me that when I showed them corn on the cob + Hellmann’s mayo when I was a teen, then Elote became a fad. ^____^

1 Like

Instant ramen dining out:

2 Likes

If you’re cooking your noodles on the stove, you can crack an egg right into the noodles and get a damn near perfect poach even with a fast boil. The noodles protect the egg from breaking up, and the rapid boil ensures the egg is cooked in 2-3 minutes (about the same time as the noodles).

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.