Maruchan noodles are an almost free lunch

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/19/maruchan-noodles-are-an-almost.html

2 Likes

How can these things be nearly 3000 calories and still not fill me up!?

7 Likes

You have eat all 12 packs.

ETA in my bachelor days a pack of ramen, with some frozen asian veggie mix and a cut up chicken breast mixed in made for a tasty cheap dinner.

25 Likes

Some might consider high blood pressure an added cost.

22 Likes

Your taste buds may cheer, but not your internal organs…

13 Likes

I know these are bad, but I love them. Can usually get them 3/$1 at the grocery store. The biggest issue is the styrofoam cup. I tried the more top-ramen style noodles but they’re not the same. I recommend Chicken Tortilla Soup flavor.

I keep a few in my desk drawer and cook them from the hot water dispenser in the kitchen at the office for late afternoon munchies. I like that you’re forced to eat them kind of slowly because of the heat, which makes them more satisfying. If they would switch to a paper cup I would eat them much more often, I just hate generating durable waste for a cheap lunch.

5 Likes

Many places are banning the styrofoam cups the CupNoodles come in, and AFAIK, the manufacturers haven’t come up with a good replacement yet.

2 Likes

Just don’t forget the water…

25 Likes

A delightful comparison between American ramen brands, by two of my favorite YouTubers:

7 Likes

MARUCHAN?!? You best keep right on walkin’. This here’s a Cup Noodles town.

15 Likes

This is one of my “when I was your age” things that makes me feel old. In addition to remembering a gallon of gas being less than a dollar, I remember when a ramen packet was less than ten cents. Now they’re twenty five cents. Oh the humanity.

9 Likes

Buy them in bulk from Cosco and you can still pay close to a dime per bag.

The Styrofoam cup ones were always more expensive though. The luxury cup noodle.

I have an H-Mart down the street that sells imported noodles from all over the world. Unfortunately all of that shipping makes them very expensive, often over a dollar a bag.

4 Likes

hard pass on the styrofoam cup version, but i just finished eating some of these for lunch today. i have them a couple times a week. i toss in a handful of spinach and some chili garlic sauce, and BOOM, lunch is fantastic and cheap as hell.

5 Likes

Ramen comes in #15

9 Likes

My favorite’s the Roast Chicken flavor. But outside of Maruchan, Shin Ramyun is my jam.

3 Likes

Except that these super cheap noodles are proven to be not just unhealthy but actually harmful if consumed regularly, not just because of the high calorie and salt content but because of the particular preservatives they contain.

That said i’ve been in economic situations where i had to make less than 20 dollars last me two weeks so i get it, some people are in circumstances where they only have access to certain foods.

10 Likes

I find that if you go to a decent Asian market there are other brands out there, similarly priced that are wayyyy better than Maruchan or Top Ramen or anything that comes in a foam cup.

Mama tom yum shrimp is only 39 cents a pack, same size as the cup without the nasty styrofoam, and blows them all away.

[ETA: I’ve had about half the noodles on this list, I can’t say I agree with all her choices-- Hao Hao and Indomie are not to my tastes, but Mama and Nongshim are both excellent (Nongshim tends to be pricier though, if cost is the issue.)]

9 Likes

Weird that Pancake Mix is on that list, but plain old AP flour is not. Their pancake mix is cheaper than bulk flour?

I’m also surprised that Coconut oil is on that list, since around here it’s one of the pricier oils.

2 Likes

Nonsense.
Cup noodles make you big & strong!

tumblr_pgrg605ZiU1rfyigm_540

10 Likes

I will totally pay a premium for Sapporo Ichiban.

4 Likes