Soon, you'll be able to safely microwave your Cup Noodles

Originally published at: Soon, you'll be able to safely microwave your Cup Noodles | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I don’t really buy cup noodles for instant noodles but it is great to see that they’re finally moving away from the Styrofoam cup. Hope other brands do the same

12 Likes

All you have to do is add water and stick it in the microwave—after 2 minutes and 15 seconds, your hot cup of soup is served.

And then one minute later it will somehow be tepid.

Still, as @Grey_Devil says, the less Styrofoam the better. You can still boil water in an electric kettle (maybe an extra 45 seconds?) and pour it in. Maybe even use a bowl?

6 Likes

Is that really such a hard thing to do? Our kettle is always out - on the counter.

9 Likes

The good people at DuPont will be quick to remind you via their legal department that these cups are made from Expanded Polystyrene foam, and not their trademarked Styrofoam.

13 Likes

The real mystery is why most Americans don’t possess a $7 electric kettle that can boil a liter of water in like a minute.

9 Likes

Don’t really need one :man_shrugging: i don’t drink tea, make my coffee in a Mr Coffee and for cooking i suppose having a kettle quickly boil water would be nice but it’s not something that i desperately need. I can just use a pot on a stove.

7 Likes

Coffee Drinking GIF

3 Likes

Yeah, having an electric kettle, I was confused how this change makes the prep any easier, but still glad about less foam packaging in the world.
Good reminder that a lot of us USians don’t have electric kettles.

9 Likes

Who can blame them once they heard the kettles shut off automatically at 100 degrees.

17 Likes

I can see how they might view that limit with some tepidation.

15 Likes

Seconded. Those have a surprisingly high amount of protein (or maybe it’s the 1st time I looked for that on instant noodles).

We had at least one other thread about this; will also recommend IndoMie MI Goreng.

3 Likes

these are good !
maybe add tofu or seitan and veg !

5 Likes

Pretty sure they’re still not very safe to eat, though.

3 Likes

tumblr_o1kh56bBwf1smqfiko1_500

6 Likes

Well, there’s your problem.

5 Likes

girlfriend you love it GIF

11 Likes

“I’ve been to a parallel universe, seen time running backwards, played pool with planets and given birth to twins… but I never thought in my entire life I’d eat an edible Pot Noodle” - Dave Lister

6 Likes

I have some recs for some instant noodles. We love Mr Kimchi noodles (their soup and stir fry versions are both nice)

We both really like Jjajangmyeon noodles as well (we’ve nicknamed them meow-meow noodles), i have a specific way i like to prepare it to make it even more tasty. Can explain if anyone wants to give it a whirl

*this is our go-to brand but there are a few others that are just as nice

And lately we’ve really really been loving these spicy chili broad bean noodles, they have an incredible chew to them and jokingly refer to it as “the good noods”. I can also give recs on how i prepare it if anyone is interested. I haven’t shopped around to see if there are other brands that are just as good

8 Likes

Well…in the US, it’s not a minute. It’s more like 4 minutes. 120v systems vs. Europes 240v systems. It’s still faster than the stove top, but not really any faster than a microwave, and we all already have microwaves.

ETA: Also, the real reason is that most of us don’t drink tea that often. We’re a country of coffee drinkers, and we have different special purpose devices for coffee.

9 Likes