Soon, you'll be able to safely microwave your Cup Noodles

4 Likes

I’d love to hear more. I’m always looking for ways to make instant noodles more interesting.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of these https://greenoodle.com/:

3 Likes

non-microwave-friendly polysterene constiner

Is that what those things are called? Always wondered. /s

(I’d @JenniferSandlin but that won’t work as apparently she has a different BBS username and I can’t recall it.)

1 Like

If this is for the Jjajangmyeon… You can adjust it based on your tastes:

• I chop an onion, the amount depends on how much you’d like, if it’s a large onion i do about a 1/4th of it. Sautee it on medium or medium-high heat

• When it starts to get some color i add kimchi, amount is also to taste (it’s hard for me to give a quantity :stuck_out_tongue: ). If the pan is too hot you can add a splash or two of water, what you’re looking for is to cook the kimchi to tame its punchy-ness to some extent so its not so overpowering to the overall dish. You can cook kimchi and take it as far as you want but i usually give it about 2-3 minutes. But if you dont like kimchi or don’t have any feel free to omit it entirely, or sub it for chopped/shredded cabbage.

• Add a splash of soy sauce, a spoonful of minced garlic and if you have curry powder on hand add about a teaspoon. Jjajangmyeon is a bit on the simple side for my tastes so adding some curry powder kicks it up a notch.

• Take mixture off the heat after two to three minutes, drain the prepared noodles and put back into its pot on low heat, add the sauce mixture and dried veggie packet, add the onion/kimchi mix, and stir everything together slowly cooking and mixing everything through until the sauce, veggies and noodles are well incorporated and sauce starts to thicken.

• Plate up in a bowl and top with sesame seeds (and green onions if you have them).

Notes: I make this without meat because my partner is vegan, add meat as desired. Other veggies can be added and i sometimes might be inclined to add frozen corn, or cook mushrooms along with the onion and kimchi. And if you really want it a bit punchier with the spice you can add red pepper flakes, paprika or gochugaru.

Hopefully my steps make sense. If you do try it i’d love to hear what you think and if you have comments about it :slight_smile: I’ve only ever made it for my partner and she seems to love it.

5 Likes

Seconded @Grey_Devil

D’oh, should have scrolled just a little more.

Anyway, I recently found out that Momofuko is making instant noodles as well. Quite tasty!

4 Likes

Shoot, shortly after I got the house I’m in, I bought a hot-water pot which keeps the water at a nice 195 degrees F- perfect for a nice cup of tea.

… I am a heathen- I use my coffee brewer for making iced tea, because I got tired of having to replace the iced team brewer’s pitcher when the machine failed.
I took some measurements, and came up with 3 quart tea bags, the 9 or 10 cup level for water on a 12 cup coffee pot, and fill a gallon pitcher 2/3rds full of ice. brew the tea, pour it over the ice, and you are good to go.

3 Likes

This is, I think, the only time that an advert made me want to go out and buy the product.

4 Likes

lol you’re good! If anyone here ever finds the chili noodles or ones similar to them i can explain how i prepare those. The steps are mostly similar, main difference is that i dont add curry powder, and along with the garlic i also add about 1/3 teaspoon of ginger paste, i like to also add chopped mushrooms to those and vegan beef crumble (or ground beef for the non-vegans), and a bunch of shredded cabbage, and cook everything together with the chili sauce and seasoning packet, and then combine with the noodles at the end. Edit: Oh and i also like to add frozen corn and frozen broccoli.

4 Likes

I drink a lot of iced tea and discovered an amazing, but kind of obvious hack that avoids boiling completely; cold brew. Turns out that just soaking tea bags in room-temp water for 2-3 hours produces a nice, clean peppy iced tea with zero effort. I use a 64 oz mason jar and around 6-8 tea bags (tetley “blue” won the taste-off). It’s especially nice because it can be poured over ice immediately without having to cool it.

They’re on Amazon. Your move. :wink:

(Not sure which one you mean, but all three you mention are available)

4 Likes

That sounds a bit like making “Stone Soup”. :smile::kissing_heart::ok_hand:

1 Like

I’m spoiled where i live because i have several korean and asian grocery stores in the area, so recommending food stuffs sometimes is difficult because online friends can’t always easily find them. I can recommend this site for asian food stuffs however! I use them once in a blue moon when i can’t find certain things here.

3 Likes

Soylent noodles?

1 Like

I do love a good stone soup :thinking:

Thank you! I love this. I’m so burned out on lunch these days that everything new is welcome (and by new I mean new ways of cooking noodles)!

I want to try these so bad. I don’t think they sell them close to me, though.

2 Likes
1 Like

I can also recommend doing a cracked egg in some noodles and cooking it in the broth. If you have a sea food type of noodles you can also try some seaweed, my partner and I like different kinds. She’s a fan of ottogi sea tangle and i’m a fan of wakame type of seaweed because i really enjoy the firmer texture.

If you have some spicy noodles you can also try adding a pad of butter to it, something about the combination really works. Its extra naughty but nice once in a while.

Wish i had more recs on things to try but i’m sure one can go online and find loads of ways to jazz up some instant noodles :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I enjoy spice, but I have an upper limit. One time I got a very spicy one from the Asian market. Good, just tooooooo picante! So, I added a tablespoon of tahini, which didn’t mess with the flavor profile too much, and tamed down the heat enough to make it pleasant to eat.

5 Likes

Or, hell, microwave a cup of water for like 30-45 seconds. That’ll get plenty hot.

Every American I know can boil water very quickly - I have a Hot Shot and a microwave and a copper kettle all of which work pretty quick (the hot shot is less than a minute and it’s right next to the sink) - it’s the seven dollars part that I can’t manage. :frowning: