Inside the Cup Noodles museum

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/28/inside-the-cup-noodles-museum.html

4 Likes

I wonder what they serve in the museum cafeteria.

11 Likes

10 Likes

It’s a McDonalds.

Not really. Or maybe really, I can’t be bothered to check.

5 Likes

i love the packaged “boil in a pot” type (i’m eating some right now, in fact) but i’ve never liked the ones in the styrofoam cup or the plastic bowls. they are convenient, but so wasteful, and they don’t taste nearly as good. that being said, i’d love to go to this museum. i imagine the gift shop is pretty amazing…

6 Likes

Wow, this is my Graceland!

Well, ONE of my Gracelands.

5 Likes

There’s an amazing, very spicy noodle from SoCal called Shin Black (made by Nongshim). Best spicy noodles I’ve ever had. Strangely enough, the cup version (in terms of broth AND noodles) is noticeably better than the packaged version. Go figure. Anyway, I encourage all noodle lovers to try it. Warning: It’s kind of addictive.

10 Likes

Shin Black is so good. There’s a bit of sticker shock involved in paying $3 for a package of ramen, when you’re used to 70-cent Nissin, but it’s absolutely worth it. Spicy, rich, with lots of veggies. Add an egg, terrific lunch.

4 Likes

I bought a whole ass-wad load of the stuff from amazon; per cost came to ~$1.25

3 Likes

hmmm, i find this news intriguing…!

Udon. Somen in the summer.

4 Likes

Yeah that was my favorite cheap lunch when I had an office to go to.

3 Likes

Ah, you missed the other (i.e. better) ramen museum in Yokohama (OK, Shin-Yokohama): The Ra-haku Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum. Actually a tableau of 1958 Japan w/ some truly spectacular ramen shops inside. Bring your appetite!

4 Likes

Not just cup ramen, but all types of instant noodle dishes. Yakisoba, udon, pho, and a million flavors of each; my current favorite is lime chili with shrimp, which I had for breakfast. You haven’t lived, though, until you have a bowl of chow fun or fresh ramen with wun tun and all the fixings: fishcake, cilantro, boiled egg, green onion, pork shreds, and anything else the kitchen thinks would go well on a bowl of noodly goodness.

1 Like

When my son was in high school, one of his friends always raided the pantry, took out a package of instant ramen, and ate the noodles raw. He’s the only one I ever saw do this.

2 Likes

9 Likes

In the late 60’s I enjoyed:

Went great with a sandwich on a cold New York winters day!

5 Likes

I highly recommend the book: The Ramen King and I: How the Inventor of Instant Noodles Fixed My Love Life by Andy Raskin

Many details about the life and work of Momofuku Ando

1 Like

That question can get you in hot water.

1 Like

Umm. There’s more than one museum devoted to this.

^^ This one is in Yokohama.

This one is in Osaka:

The Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum
https://artofbudgettravel.blogspot.ca/2014/10/osaka-japan-momofuku-ando-instant-ramen.html

1 Like