Inside the Cup Noodles museum

As others have mentioned, there’s two Ramen museums in Yokohama, both pretty cool, but quite different.

I visited both a couple years ago, took a bunch of photos, and posted about them (and tried to get BoingBoing to share the links, but no dice. I think they were busy with their Haunted Mansion kick back then).
https://thoughtandsight.com/the-ramen-amusement-park-in-yokohama-japan/

https://thoughtandsight.com/the-whimsical-cup-noodle-museum-and-make-your-own-ramen-factory/

2 Likes

When in Beijing be sure to visit the Museum of Tap Water. Over 90 years of bringing undrinkable, non-potable water to households in Beijing!

http://www.china.org.cn/english/features/museums/139777.htm

2 Likes

Nissin is 70 cents these days? Jesus!

2 Likes

I used to do it too

I fucking love cup noodles

1 Like

No, seriously? You actually have to ask?
From the website for the Cup Noodles Museum in Yokohama’s Minato Mirai District:

The museum also has the Cupnoodles Park (300 yen) children’s playground, which is modeled after a factory where kids play noodles being made and shipped out; and the entertaining Noodles Bazaar, which is a food court designed to look like an Asian night market complete with the sounds of hawkers and traffic. Eight different noodle dishes and canned drinks from around the world are served there, and small portions allow you to sample a variety of flavors at 300 yen per dish.

2 Likes

I’ve been to the parasite museum but not this one. Honestly I’m not gonna shlep down to Yokohama just for a museum of food I cant eat anyway what with all the instant noodles here being treifilicious.

2 Likes

Depends where you get it! Usually about 59 cents at the supermarket, sometimes 3/$1 on sale. 70c at the corner store.

2 Likes

My go-to was this and a grilled-cheese sandwich:

2 Likes

Biting into an entire brick of ramen like it’s a cuboidal apple is a new one on me, but eating ramen noodles raw is not. I eat them raw in salads and sandwiches all the time.

1 Like

I first heard about this in an interview with David Chang of Momofuku, who said that a very common snack when he was a kid in Korea was to open a brick of ramen, sprinkle it with seasoning powder, and eat it ‘raw’. He only found out later that you could actually eat it like noodles! He often publishes recipes made with ramen noodles, such as fried chicken coated with finely-crushed ramen and ramen seasoning.

1 Like

I have to try this.

Wouldn’t it be insanely salty though?

I’m fascinated by it, too, but haven’t tried it yet due to my lack of a fryer. I imagine it would be insanely spicy, but David Chang’s recipes are never exactly subtle.

http://luckypeach.com/recipes/ramen-fried-chicken/

[quote=“nungesser, post:33, topic:96066”]
Fried noodles coating fried chicken + a shower of MSG and spice =a heart attack on a plate[/quote]

FTFY 

1 Like

And that was the sandwich.
Made with Wonder bread of course.

1 Like

meh can’t be worse of heart attack on a plate than when I pan fry with bacon fat.

I think it can. Bacon grease is the only way to fry IMO. It tastes good and renders well, as opposed to deep frying, which uses an excessive amount of oil and doesn’t even taste good. Bacon grease isn’t as healthy as vegetable oil, but there’s much less of it.

Either way, I don’t use much salt when I cook, even though I do use bacon grease. I would never actually add MSG to food.

1 Like

Just my ‘noodle’.

1 Like

Or pan fry the ramen chicken with bacon grease! win win win! Just you know don’t eat it every day. It would probably be healthier than the ramen serving as the ingredients are spread out over more than one serving of chicken.

ETA calling @japhroaig is this something that should be done?

2 Likes

I know MSG gets a bad rap, but in small quantities (via Accent seasoning), it really ‘beefs up’ the flavor of a recipe. In the end it’s just another kind of sodium. I have a recipe for bigos that gets a big flavor punch from adding a packet of beef ramen seasoning.

1 Like