Adding pink seaweed to cow feed eliminates their methane emissions

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/20/gassy.html

8 Likes

It’s SO important not to let this stuff distract us from the undeniable fact that we need to have so SO many fewer cows/sheep/pigs around if we are gonna have a shot at stopping the catastrophe.
Every kilo of meat produced is this black hole of resources, land, water and CO2 both emitted AND CO2 capture wasted (i.e. the land used to grow the food for the animal and the land the animal inhabits could all be CO2 capturing trees).

As George Monbiot put it, the meat and dairy industry is a loaded gun pointed at out future.

21 Likes

the big thing that is going to make sure this works at a global scale, is to make sure we can produce the seaweed sustainably

Isn’t that, like, seaweed’s default position? It’s not sea-hard-to-grow-plant.

7 Likes

This just sounds too good to be true.

Maybe we should consume less…of EVERYTHING.

And stop driving.

7 Likes

but without consumption, how will we get the economic growth necessary to solve our problems?

4 Likes

Cows fart? You learn the dangdest things on BB…

1 Like

They didn’t say farts…

4 Likes

No? I thought I read FARTS. See what happens in your old age…

2 Likes

Yeah; it’s not just the methane that’s the problem with raising cattle.

10 Likes

My Mother said the same thing about 7 children and 1 bathroom.

11 Likes

They do, but it’s the belching that produces the methane. (And, you know, all the manure, which I doubt this alters…)

8 Likes

Rereading it, guess it’s actually cow burps, not cow farts.

I think the story is a good example of how technology and innovation can be brought to bear to tackle our big issues, like climate change. Green New Deal; MMT jobs guarantee, anyone?

The key is to be putting our resources into efforts that benefit all of us, instead of just insatiable pockets of the 0.1%

3 Likes

Manure is the smell of good country living, I suspect some would miss it, not me though.

1 Like

Though it may be a better example of “greenwashing,” where a (very slight) improvement to the environmental impact is used to mask the fact that the product is still environmentally unsustainable on a fundamental level.

9 Likes

Great. How will they market a cow carminative? Beano for dogs was called Curtail.

3 Likes

I bet other seaweeds can also work (or figure out why that seaweed is special and replicate that, maybe it’s iodine or salt or some microorganism?)

I’ve always wondered why the cow poop, pig poop and chicken poop problems aren’t thought of as (stinky) opportunities. Biogas? Chemical feedstocks? Fertilizer?

2 Likes

A big push toward development and mass production of meat substitutes can also be part of the program. Let’s do it all. (We might have to cut back on our production of weapons, though. Got to economize somewhere. :] )

3 Likes

Yeah, those kind of more fundamental changes to lifestyle are going to be what’s required.

They are used that way, but…

2 Likes

Is It applicable in human beings?

5 Likes

Smells like money…

1 Like