ADHD, the song

Originally published at: ADHD, the song | Boing Boing

8 Likes

The looks on his wife’s face are priceless.

4 Likes

Entertaining and educational. I can get behind that, despite my lack of love for “Under the Sea” and The Little Mermaid in general.

4 Likes

Trust me not all partners put up with it. Most folks just don’t get ADHD.

None the less the raw creative power is staggering.

7 Likes

It’s even more fun when both you and your significant other have ADHD.

“I feel like I forgot something important.”

“Me too.”

“Oh well.”

7 Likes

Is it bad that I stopped watching after a few seconds?

3 Likes

supportive wife to keep him on track.

Oh Dear Wife, they’re playing your song!

3 Likes

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME
Did you see that video about Pelosi and McCarthy?
Hey! I’ve got a new business idea!
This song is so like me.
Maybe I should start a YouTube channel…
Oh! There’s that tax form from last year, shit!
I really oughta get to work on… what was that news story again?

3 Likes

Feeling this … Wait look! Squirrel!

6 Likes

TL;DW: ADHD.

Seriously, I expected this to be about 4 seconds long: “ADHD!” <walks out of frame>

3 Likes

i DDon’T GETT It… WhY DON’t YOu jUsT sTopPP proCRAStInaTING ANd focCuS harDD?

5 Likes

I was more than a month without the phone.
Did I mention that I’m prone
To some distraction.
It’s an affliction.
Wow, hey, I’m not alone!

Ok, I overcompensate,
but it might not be to late
for seeing a doc or shrink of s’kind?
Well I’m not sure I wouldn’t mind,
But I might try it,
And should I buy it
What they will tell (I do not know),
But sure as hell it’s gonna show
If I can be better
(Can water be wetter?)
If life can be whole.

Ah, crap, I lost the rythm, didn’t I.

2 Likes

No. I have ADHD and I turned it off.

Not everyone views their ADHD as a “superpower”. Glad this guy can but many find it debilitating. Even with medication it can be a nightmare.

The only reason I’m saying this is that sometimes these sort of feel-good approaches can be damaging. It encourages others to view ADHD as something that can be conquered with a bit of cheeriness. Much like depression, someone telling you to smile isn’t going to help. It also reinforces the idea in ADHDers themselves that there really is something wrong with them because after all they don’t have that great creative (and clearly high-paying) career and that beautiful house.

4 Likes

This is my sister and her husband. Together they’re a nigh unstoppable force, if they can keep focused on a task… But when it’s up to something big like starting a business, they split tasks into a billion smaller ones, then hit them with an energy that tires out normal people. The resiliency is amazing. If something doesn’t work or falls through, it’s immediately to the next thing with a ridiculous amount of energy.

3 Likes

I agree. Having lived my whole life with severe inattentive and impulsive type ADHD, I can tell you in modern day society it is absolutely not a superpower.

Our society’s schools, work, and even social services are all designed to work wonderfully for neurotypicals. But are pretty much a Klein Bottle shaped rubik’s cube to people like me.

Every success I’ve had academically or at work has come at massive cost, and masking my personality all day every day is ruining my mental health.

Having a million people rely on me to have executive function against my will gives me so much anxiety.

It’s like everyone else feels entitled to monopolize my mental space and when I fail to do all this shit everyone expects somehow I’m selfish and lazy when 99.9% of the time it literally just never occured to me. The thoughts didn’t happen.

6 Likes

If this video seems to resonate, I wrote up the following on Reddit. The subsequent discussion is quite a good read.

So, it’s fascinating.

People with ADHD make excellent positions in triage / handling emergencies. I explain to others that it’s like our brains are always underclocked, starving for stimulant, and nothing can maintain our interest for long because we burn through the unique information too quickly. Our brains are constantly seeking that ‘high’ of the thrill of unique experience, just to maintain operations and survive.

It’s why there’s the oxymoron of “hyperfocus…” I can sit and study something for hours , figuring out some new game’s mechanics and min/maxing my build… because it’s giving me what I need . I wish to heck I could control what I hyperfocused on. ADHD meds takes away my hyperfocus, but it at least allows me to (usually) work on what pays the bills… even if I’m at a quarter of the ability as when I’m hyperfocused.

During an emergency, I am suddenly operating at “normal” operations. Information is flowing in fast and hard, the brain’s on a spike of natural stimulant, and I am more rational and clear-headed than anyone around me.

Having jobs that constantly vary what I’m working on, dealing with high-priority customers that have an emergency, working on problems that require a unique solution and have strong time pressures… these are where I thrive.

What’s your, “Tis but a scratch!” moment? : AskReddit

That said, as others have mentioned, everyone’s journey is their own and perfectly valid! Not everyone can find their niche, or their disorder may be much less functional.

The best advice I can give is: Don’t judge yourself harshly for how your brain works, as it’s through self-acceptance that you can constructively move forward as best as possible. And don’t be scared of medications… yes, it’ll change you, but if the current situation is untennable, maybe that’s OK.

5 Likes

I remain shocked at the ability of these guys to keep up the quality of their stuff. It’s easy to make this stuff cringy as hell, and I’ve never done a thing but unironically enjoy their work.

That’s me with creative projects. I’m absolutely dedicated to this awesome idea and I stayed up until 2 AM to…hey, you know what’s interesting? This completely different thing. I should spend the $250 bucks to get this device that helps me do X because this is definitely my new hobby until… I’ve always been interested in creating this thing that is outside of my experience, but you know, bucket list, so I should…

2 Likes

I keep my mental focus and my financial boot straps in a backpack for safe keeping; can’t find it.

Is that a squirrel :chipmunk:?

1 Like