Adobe ebook DRM secretly builds and transmits a dossier of your reading habits

Remember, this is the creative software company that wants to force users to pay rent forever or lose access to their digital projects. They’re also in the news lately for canceling perpetual CS6 licenses purchased by Academy Of Art University students to force them into rental:

Adobe is one of the most customer-hostile companies in the digital industry, especially with regard to their DRM practices.

2 Likes

Not like anybody lets Adobe through their firewall anyway, is it? Or if you find their app creeping around, add its home address to your “hosts” file.

Then again, when I show up at Adobe’s server farm to access my data, yuks ensue!

Huh? Not like everybody already knows about this or know what the “hosts” file is…

In the age of the Internet, the answer is a query away. Once you know what to look for, you are almost there.

1 Like

On the internet, in my experience, wrong answers and seo-crap are often a query away, while right answers are often unobtainable.

So each user needs to know that there is a problem, what to look for, and how to find the right answer among all the wrong ones. big problem.

[Yes, I checked Wikipedia first.]

1 Like

Point. Big fat point…

Edit: Wikipedia tends to be a good start for most of the more basic things. While not 100% reliable, it is usually on the better side. In case of too high stakes, validate against other sources, and if it makes sense in context of what you already know, but that goes for any sources - I saw typos and errata even for engineering tables.

You should probably add the following line to
/etc/hosts before attempting to google, though

127.0.0.1 google.com

This will help ensure privacy

Not that good idea if you want to actually use the service. Unless you run a suitable proxy on your localhost.

But you can replace the IP with another search engine, if their servers don’t rely on the Host: header (e.g. can be accessed just via their IP address), and have a seamless switch.

Someone at the arstechnica forum
suggests this line.

0.0.0.0 adelogs.adobe.com

will send those dossiers to /dev/null

in retrospect, localhost is not the appropriate destination, unless you either would like to read those log files, or have a script that acknowledges receipt

how to edit hostfiles on macosx

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.