Adobe responds to scandalous news of secretly spying on readers (not really)

[Permalink]

What a bunch of jerks.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an insult to jerks everywhere. These people are assholes.

5 Likes

Well of course itā€™s in cleartext. Why would they encrypt it if theyā€™re not doing anything wrong?

3 Likes

ā€œWe recognized the need to respond to this revelation, but itā€™s going to take us another week to figure out what we can say that wonā€™t really piss everyone off.ā€

4 Likes

Iā€™ve responded by uninstalling all Adobe products on all of my computers and phones. I doubt Iā€™ll ever install another product of theirs on any platform I manage.

Flash makes this option a bit of a problem.

@gjbloom mentioned ā€˜any platform I manageā€™ rather than ā€˜device I useā€™ which makes it sound like he wrangles tech for users.

In such cases, I find a gambit I refer to as ā€˜the patriot gameā€™ very effective: Simply claim that Flash is a security risk on par with scrounging a crack den for used needles and sticking them into your neck in search of free drugs (which isnā€™t even a lie) and then insist that, however sorry it makes you, unspecified ā€˜security policiesā€™ and ā€˜data protection best practicesā€™ prevent you from installing it.

Itā€™s a technique I learned from the example of innumerable powerful men in positions of (dis)trust and honorā€¦

I suspect that they are facing the more or less fundamental conflict that comes with actually selling DRM tools to publishers; but relying on at least vague, hazy, user, retailer, and librarian assent in order to get their crap installed on end user devices, and compete against Appleā€™s ā€˜fairplayā€™ DRMed stuff and Amazonā€™s Kindlesphere (does the DRM those use even have a name? It is definitely there; but it seems to be even lower profile than ā€˜fairplayā€™ is in the iWorld).

This isnā€™t just ā€˜Adobe made a mistake, isnā€™t sure how to apologizeā€™ (though sending the data in the clear is a pretty damn unimpressive move, and definitely qualifies as a serious and actually-pretty-much-expected-for-adobe episode of incompetence). This is ā€˜Adobeā€™s actual customers want what Adobe is doing. Some of them probably want things that are even worse; but taking a public stance in favor of their direct customers is not going to help their penetration of end users and influential non-publisher entities.ā€™

I especially like ā€œexpect an update to be available no later than the week of October 20ā€. So conceivably Oct 25th or 26th, depending on which day you regard as the first day of the week. The data Iā€™ve given here is for 2014, which may be a hasty assumption, because I didnā€™t see the year explicitly mentioned in the quotes from Adobeā€™s response.

Eh - so far I havenā€™t missed it. HTML5 video is rapidly supplanting flash. If I eventually encounter must-have flash-only content, Iā€™ll have something to think about.

Iā€™m disappointed by Adobe. Theyā€™ve turned on their customers with invasive data harvesting and forced migration to cloudy software.

There arenā€™t many good sidegrade options from CS6 that Iā€™ve found but Iā€™ll keep looking. Iā€™m not sure how to replace the suite of Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere. I do like the software. I just donā€™t like the direction the company is going and how easily they shrug off valid criticism.

I hope thereā€™s some serious introspection going on at that company.

The Boox line is one alternative to Kindles and Nooks, you BYO books AFAIK, it runs Android so rooting and really using the hardware is theoretically possible though so is sneakyness since most users canā€™t or wont build everything in the OS from reviewed source. Same story with the Hanvon Wisereaders but much cheaper, it runs WinCE, yuck!
I suppose one needs to be able to buy books from some source though I donā€™t like to buy with DRM and then have to rip that.
I remember there being some real FOSS alternative firmwares which are a far weaker alternative to relaxing and simply enjoying the product you just paid for by rewarding a manufacturer who puts a user friendly and user secure OS and software on their device.

Maybe I inferred too much I was thinking he meant for example youā€™d have to remove Google Chrome, and who knows what else that contains Adobe products.

I hear they are targeting the second Thursday next week.

1 Like

Yeah, exactly, theyā€™ve got the problem that any explanation admits that it was a purposeful and deliberate design decision taken because the readers arenā€™t actually the customers, theyā€™re another product from Adobeā€™s perspective. People might have an easier time accepting that dynamic with free services like Facebook, but when that dynamic is included (and secretly, no less) as part of a product that theyā€™re paying for, itā€™s going to rightfully piss people off.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.