Adobe ends support for Type 1 fonts

Originally published at: Adobe ends support for Type 1 fonts | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Aww, too bad. At least we still have PANTONE.

16 Likes

ha ha funny/not funny. adobe has become the singular largest pain in my ass.

13 Likes

See this bruise on my forehead? It’s from banging my head against a wall on behalf of a customer who has been using a very specific type 1 font since the 90s, and it’s on everything. While I may be a paid-up vassal to my feudal lord Adobe, I hate them.

I spent a long time finding a replacement font, and now nothing can be reprinted without being manipulated. Everything takes longer now, and the replacement is fine, good even, but I’ve been looking at that font for 20 years. The replacement is just different enough to bug me, but not different enough that most people even notice a change. Le sigh.

37 Likes

giphy (14)

I might have some lurking type 1 fonts, but I don’t use Adobe for anything.

18 Likes

I came to a fork in the road when I left employment for freelance, and thought that Adobe had more of a future than QuarkXPress. I might not have been wrong, but shit. I miss Quark, which is a picky, opaque old bastard, but a workhorse as long as you jump through the right hoops. Mostly, though, I miss being able to purchase software that continues to work indefinitely.

30 Likes

I’m one of those cranky old bastards who is still more comfortable color correcting photos in CMYK.

8 Likes

I’m not on the designer end. Entirely on the output end. Mostly use Illustrator. I hate live fonts. Looking at you Helvetica! How many Helvetica’s does there need to be?

OUTLINE YOUR FONTS BEFORE YOU SEND ME FILES, FOLKS!

13 Likes

At least one more. /sarcasm

But at least it’s not… comic sans?

: runs away FAST :

6 Likes

This is a huge fucking deal if you work with Adobe products at all.

We have over 1100 template at work that all have to be gone through and any Type 1 fonts stripped out and replace. It if it something like Helvetica, then not too big of a deal. But some of the more obscure fonts are a pain in the ass.

9 Likes
12 Likes

I used to have to support a bunch of people using Quark; “works indefinitely” is not the first phrase I’d have used to describe it. And indeed, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign CS3 didn’t work indefinitely either, which is how come I eventually bent over for CC (last year). It was never the case that you didn’t have to keep giving Adobe money; it’s just that you used to have a choice about when it was worth it.

And (probably not by coincidence) it was worth it. The last few times I upgraded Photoshop and Illlustrator, it was pretty much just for compatibility rather than new features, but I didn’t mind because these were polished and reliable apps I used every day, so I felt like I was getting good value. And that’s probably because Adobe felt like their revenue depended on honoring that contract.

But now they can just sit back and suck money from my account for as long as I have to use any of their products even once a month. And the software reflects that in its absolute dogshit quality. When you’re asking for $400, you have to make sure that (for example) buttons work when you click on them, but with the rentier model, pff, who cares? All they have to do is prove that the software technically exists, and maybe throw in an ad or two built into the UI.

It’s sort of like if you wanted to replace your nice Aeron chair after 30 years, and Herman Miller were like “great news, you can get an Aeron CC for just $100 a month for the rest of your life! Also we’ve changed the design to be more like a cheap version of George Clooney’s dildo chair from Burn After Reading. ALL OUR CUSTOMERS PREFER THIS SO IT’S THE ONLY OPTION”.

I realise it’s “just business”, and they can charge what they want. I just want these fermented cysts to know that I personally despise them, and pray to Satan that they may never leave a salon without a pigeon shitting bulkily in their hair. But hey, that’s just business right?

16 Likes

RGB is fine for what it is, but CMYK just makes more sense in my brain! CMYK all the things, then convert at the end.

2 Likes

I’m curious what Adobe’s case for doing this was. It’s not like anyone expects stability, security, or sanity from their products as software, so a generic ‘must clean codebase/turns out that safe type 1 font parsing is impossible in principle’ issue doesn’t seem desperately high priority; and in terms of their competitive position Adobe is at their safest when being the only 100% bug-compatible implementation of Adobe on the market(compatibility may silently vary between releases).

I could see putting this behind a ‘do not enable this bad feature’ toggle, like Office does with support for some of the really antique stuff; but why get rid of it entirely when that will upset precisely the sort of lock-in cases that make delightfully stable customers?

7 Likes

that sure sounds like a monopoly to me…

5 Likes

Rent-seeking is so very much more profitable than build quality or observance of standards. Don’t think of SAAS as an expensive single point of failure that breaches your security perimeter, think of the happiness you’re bringing to corporate shareholders!

5 Likes

Don’t get me started on my Pantone scheme rant!!!

1 Like

I join you in your prayers, and also hope that the pigeon has some sort of intestinal condition that makes its poop extra smelly and difficult to remove.

I’m still hanging on with CS5 when clients are willing to export .idml files (I’m an editor), but most of them insist that I use CC. I have come to hate Adobe with the fire of a thousand suns. Every time I finish a job where I’ve had to use CC (thankfully, only 3 or 4 times a year) I carry out the “unsubscribe” routine immediately, with great fervor.

*edit: .idml, not .indd!

6 Likes

as a fellow designer, just here to echo the frustration everyone is expressing here. i have clients that have used the same T1 font for decades, and now thanks to adobe i have to find replacements for them on a case-by-case basis. it’s awful.

that being said, you all should look into the Affinity Suite as a replacement for Adobe. i’ve been sloooowly moving over to Affinity. they seem great – a one-time purchase for the entire suite (their version of InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop), and they work well and do all the things i need. they read InDesign IDML files perfectly*, and have no trouble with native PSD or ILLUS files. and being able to wean myself off of adobe’s monthly leech is a great feeling.

*i will say that i had to go into every customer’s files and save versions of IDML files for all their Indesign files, and that was a pain, but i found a script that helped. still, it took me a month or two.

10 Likes

I just started thinking about the ImageWriter…

6 Likes