Adobe ends support for Type 1 fonts

One of the many secrets of a happy life.

Repeat with Twatter, Fuckbook, and - oh god, the list is so loooong… hmm, not so happy after all, really

THIS!!!

Does your language get colourful?

8 Likes

My guess is that all you need is one dev with a bee up their butt who hates still supporting Type 1. Most likely because of automated tests, or simply one of those devs who hates old code in general. So said dev carps in every sprint planning, in every refinement, in every retrospective that the PO finally needs to move this into the next sprint.

It wasn’t removed because it was hindering new features as much as it was removed because someone hat it out for that legacy feature. And Marketing went along because it figures enough people will buy the OTF from Adobe now that Type 1 has been shitcanned.

2 Likes

So what I understand from this thread is I should stop updating Adobe products?
I don’t think I have any t1 fonts actually enabled at the moment, but there’s a ton of them in my library.

There must be a “transform t1 to otf” app somewhere?

1 Like

Can you? I didn’t think Adobe gave that option any more.

1 Like

Availability is nondeterministic; but given the reliability of Adobe’s (multiple, often infighting) update mechanisms they do offer an exemption from updates to something like 10% of installs; at least the ones I’ve had to babysit.

i love production guys like you! so much easier to send with outlined fonts. unfortunately too many places want the collected file with live fonts. and i just hope they all have the adobe suite over there because you can’t collect adobe fonts for output! MISERABLE BASTARDS

3 Likes

I bought the CS6 suite years ago and refuse to update to CC. I get by. Occasionally I have a client that requires CC - so I subscribe, do the work and add the Adobe rental +30%, to the client’s bill. No complaints so far.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was doing that with just InDesign for a while (because I use it infrequently), but once it became impossible to use the CS3 versions of AI and PS, I had to just cut a permanent hole in the bottom of my wallet, because I use those constantly – not just for producing work, but for all kinds of sketching, tweaking PDFs and screenshots, making cutting templates, whatever.

Basically, because these apps were once good and reliable and unlimited, I formed habits I never would have formed if I had to pay by the hour (you know, like an infested sex motel). Like many people, I learned on pirate copies as a teen, for fun, and I ended up giving them money because they convinced me they had something worth selling. I’m pretty sure no kid today is trying to get locked in to Adobe’s toilet of an ecosystem. They may well end up using something worse than Photoshop in its prime, but it won’t be Photoshop CC.

3 Likes

Knock yourself out. It’s still available. I’d rather stick forks in my eyes (guess I wouldn’t have to see all my PMS colors go black).

5 Likes

ah, but that’s what those education licenses are for. give them away like candy to highschools and colleges, wait to collect the dentist bills after graduation

5 Likes

FOSS whenever possible. Adobe doesn’t deserve your business, and hasn’t since, I’d say, 1989.

5 Likes

I’m also switching over to Affinity and still getting accustomed to the interface. It’s been a long while since I did pre-press and I can’t compare them at that level, but it’s good enough for my personal work.

5 Likes

It just makes me blue. Pantone 292

4 Likes

yeah, i’m the same way. most of my work is 4-color, but digital, so it’s a lot less to deal with than in the old days. Affinity is super impressive, and just enough like the old adobe stuff that with some use of the “Help” menu i can find my way around. i made sure to set up all the palettes as close to my old adobe setup as i could, which has been helpful.

3 Likes

Wow - it looks nice! After making due for my personal stuff with Photoshop 7 and open source stuff for literally 2 decades, I finally gave in at the holidays and got a discounted Adobe CS 1 year sub. Probably should have done some more research. Oh well, maybe next December

2 Likes

Works as advertised. I used it when management decided that I should follow them to a sales meeting on the other side of the country so I could so my design work right in front of the client - but on a Windows laptop, while all our templates used old school Mac fonts.

9 Likes

Been a while since I was needing to do that (in CC for sure), but InDesign collects fonts, so you can just import your Illustrator work into an InDesign doc and collect from there. Used to do that quite a bit. Hardly takes any time at all.

Unless CC blocks this now?

1 Like

[Adding “I will not accept this 8MB (the DRAMitty!) font file. [Waving 12MB ImageWriter2 RAM daughtercard kludge in air.] Choose something smaller!” and “Our* three spot greens don’t include Y” to my daily affirmations to do when I have a morning routine.]
Unicode tables are an Adobe product. Why can’t you just stripmine Type 1 while replacing, that’s depreciated capital? MS OpenType DRM bombs that make you connect one of their music players?

*reaching out to George Santos?

Bobtato> [Many things!]

So Quark, did it rot its own files of was it something else rather?
You don’t simply print the black phosphorous Aeron on the 68 cm. balance ball?

Add me to the Affinity Suite purchasers as well. I liked the vector app enough that I decided to get the whole suite when it was on sale, even though I rarely need it now these days. I have moved on from being web designer to web developer, and spend my days and nights in JetBrains IDEs, but every now and then I get an urge to draw something, and this comes in handy.

I left Adobe behind long ago, and I never was a fan of Illustrator. I still mourn the passing of FreeHand when Macromedia gave up and sold out to Adobe.

1 Like

YES. i never learned to use Illustrator more than enough to get by. Freehand was always the superior product, and i am still angry that adobe bought it just to kill it. they didn’t even take its good features and merge it into Illustrator!

2 Likes