Adobe ends support for Type 1 fonts

While I was never a huge fan of PageMaker, the other Aldus software was FANTASTIC. Freehand is the only illustration tool I was ever any good at, and there has never been a presentation tool as well designed as Persuasion. When Microsoft bought up and basically gave away Powerpoint, destroying the market it was a dark, dark day

4 Likes

Yeah, you can turn off automatic updates and install the previous version, but nothing older by the looks of it. I’m not sure what happens once the version you have installed is two versions behind though. If it carries on working that may be an option for people stuck using T1 fonts.

At a certain point, isn’t it almost worth the time to convert the font with a program like fontographer? (I don’t know about type one fonts, I’m not a graphic designer, but I used a bootleg version of that app to make a font of my handwriting and it was relatively easy to figure out)

2 Likes

There we go even easier than my suggestion in my previous comment.

CS3 on Sierra. Still going (mostly) strong.

1 Like

Do you want a Helvetica scenario?
Because that’s how you’ll get a Helvetica scenario.

4 Likes

2oz90j

4 Likes

Yeah, Adobe had to try twice to kill FreeHand. First when they bought Aldus, but the original rights holders exercised an option and sold FreeHand to Macromedia instead. Then Adobe killed it outright when they bought Macromedia.

I will admit I did prefer InDesign to QuarkXPress, and Photoshop was basically king at what it did, but I never did like Adobe the company. And I never bothered to move my ill-gotten PostScript fonts from my old iMac to the MacBook, so I fear they may be lost now.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t know, honestly, but I’m erring on the side of caution regarding copyright stuff.

2 Likes

Ah - sad then.
For a rant, I was expecting puce. :wink:

1 Like

(Stolen too)

ETA: I was not the original ranter. Just a another frustrated Adobe user)

3 Likes

It would come back from lunch reeking of gin, and one time I found it alone in a room with a visibly shaken intern who never said anything but joined a religious order soon afterward

3 Likes

Correct. CC will not allow you to collect fonts from the Adobe Font Collection.

No, the Helvetica Scenario is explained in this educational video. (about 6:15, but it’s best to watch the whole thing)

5 Likes

RGB has greater color gamut than CMYK, so doing color corrections in CMYK will always result in losing some color information.

What the heck is a Type 1 font?

1 Like

Something that Adobe pissed away over the years. Don’t even ask me about Type 2 fonts

1 Like

Peter Serafinowicz should be the Comedian Laureate of Scarfolk.

4 Likes

Not only will Fontforge do it, it includes in the docs how to write a script to automate it.

4 Likes