Adobe to (finally) pull plug on Flash, for real this time

Remember when it was Macromedia Flash?

I before that it was FutureSplash Animator. The good old days…

10 Likes

Which one do you use? And does it really work all the time? (It’s probably only a matter of time before that happens.)

I use Flashblock, which can supposedly block HTML5, but things like animated GIFs on Facebook tend not to load at all.

1 Like

I wonder what happens to all the legacy flash content out there on the web.

(And on a more personal note, I’ve got some old flash animations I made in high school. I don’t have the original files or access to newer versions of flash, so it’s not like I can export them into a different format.)

3 Likes

Don’t forget the other many wonderful things Flash brought us, like…

and…

12 Likes

The fans in my Macbook Pro are going to wonder why I don’t need them anymore.

10 Likes

Or, it will permanently cry out for updates, forever unrequited…

6 Likes

I am the Radiskullllll, I will kill you one by (one by!) one!

3 Likes

I use Flashstopper. So far, it has always worked for embedded videos. Animated GIFs I deal with by setting the about:config setting that makes them play only once instead of endlessly. I frequently run into problems with embedded twitter or imagur or instagram videos that just plain don’t want to play on the desktop. If I really want to see the video, I often just get out my tablet and look at it there.

1 Like

You might have to switch to Toonboom!

2 Likes

Radiskull and Devil Doll are definitely one of my favorite college memories. Oh, the laughter. We were high, obvy.

3 Likes

a79c0eff1e170e9138ac21c2cb94cab1

3 Likes

My favorite ads are the ones that play alongside other ads, or the ads that play alongside actual content.

Or the ads that pepper long reads. “No. You don’t want to savor the 50th paragraph. You want to scroll back to the beginning and listen to the Nespresso ad at the beginning,” Here, let my javascript help you.

5 Likes

As far as I know Adobe isn’t planning on killing the authoring software, just the browser plugin. Adobe Flash/Animate has had the ability to publish to different formats than .SWF for a long time.

3 Likes

I remember these two made their way to cable on demand, but that was a long time ago.

1 Like

The only thing profound about flash was the amount of memory it would try to gobble up.

1 Like

how many gigs are we talking?

1 Like

Wow, only 7 years after Flash was first declared dead (by Steve Jobs, no less), it has now been declared dead FOR GOOD…2.5 more years from now. And we mean it this time!!

Really reveals the pathetic shortcomings of the software that was supposed to replace it. Sad!

3 Likes

May we never forget Dancing Banana…

4 Likes
4 Likes

9.5 years from the declaration that it wasn’t invited to the iPhone to official deprecation by the vendor is actually pretty aggressive for a legacy software kill; especially given the volume of Flash material unlikely to be reflected reformatted for something else and the very limited options for a drop-in replacement.

Legacy software dies hard and slow.

2 Likes