Internet Archive turns on Flash emulation, already has 1000 items to check out

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/19/internet-archive-turns-on-flash-emulation-already-has-1000-items-to-check-out.html

4 Likes

You can add your own and get them running, and the animations have never ran smoother or better

How would you do this? I went to the archive.org collection linked but don’t see how to upload flash files

1 Like

Here’s archive.org’s blog post that Rob excerpted.

3 Likes

Will they emulate the insecurities as well?

6 Likes

15 Likes

Someday the old Bullseye Art cartoons will re-surface so I can re-watch “Internet - The Animated Series.” You can find Miss Muffy and the Muff Mobb without too much trouble, but Internet is difficult. I mean, try searching “Internet The Animated Series” sometime and see if it comes anywhere near what you were looking for. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Football FOOTBALL!

1 Like

But Strongbad is already over a YouTube.

5 Likes

So many memories. I probably have some SWF games and animations in cold storage that I can add to the archive.

3 Likes

I was having fun searching the archive. watched peanut butter jelly time. clicked something else and holy cow it crashed the shit out of my phone. screen completely black, but backlit. buttons did nothing. had to take the battery out and reboot, and when it came back, it was on the fucking default wallpaper. now, yes, my phone is cheap, but nothing like that ever happened before.
watch out for that emulator on Android, guys.

6 Likes

Yeah, Flash died in large part because it was a never-ending parade of security holes.

3 Likes

Just seeing that GIF is gonna have Ievan Polka stuck in my head for at least a day…

2 Likes

Why can’t I find Strongbad’s emails?

3 Likes

I believe 100 years from now The Internet Archive will be viewed as one of the most important historical artifacts of its time. I have a monthly donation going to them and Wikipedia (among others, but this is an elite, “doing incredibly important work for future generations” category for me), and I can’t think of any two more deserving candidates … if you can, I invite you to donate as well:

https://archive.org/donate/

(We also donate directly to IA at the corporate level every year. Sadly I have yet to convince anyone there to use Discourse, though :cry:)

10 Likes

My favorite flash artist Han Hoogerbrugge hasn’t put up any of his work yet. I spent a lot of time playing with his modern living series.

I should install a VM with flash and play with it because it seems like it is still up.

Archive.org had the crimson room I remember my mind being blown playing that. It was a fun revisit.

3 Likes

:frowning: None of the sound worked for me, and I suspect my Mac products are against fun again.

ETA: Yup! Chrome works! Safari is full of fail.

4 Likes

Is there a way to resurrect the Simpsons avatar creator that was part of the Simpsons Movie website?

3 Likes

I can haz chezburgur?

2 Likes

No Irrational Exuberance? Fail.

2 Likes

Good, a large part of our modern (internet) culture would be lost forever. Great to see that there are people why try to preserve it. I would also like to mention the flash emulator by Newgrounds: https://www.newgrounds.com/flash/player/download/1.0.0

5 Likes