38,000 Flash games bundled in a single, just-works game launcher download

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/10/38000-flash-games-bundled-in.html

2 Likes

38,000 chances to screw around at work, I’ll take it.

7 Likes

38,000 chances to infect my computer with something malicious…I’ll pass.

7 Likes

That’s why you keep an old, obsolete computer with nothing of value on it.

1 Like

hkMZSF7

9 Likes

4 Likes

This time I got tricked: I was sure that this is a BB store offering!

2 Likes

I was reading about this over at Polygon. I think it’d be good for Rob to mention the mad dash some archivists are doing to preserve Flash content that will potentially be lost forever.

3 Likes

Given its reputation as being the cyber equivalent of having unprotected sex with hyenas in the middle of the Autobahn during a hailstorm, I’ve been pretty alarmed at how not “virtually impossible” it’s been to use Flash lately.

Not that it’s stopped me from using it, though. INT 14, WIS 7.

…CHA 4.

6 Likes

FREE_38000_FLASHGAMES.EXE

Totes legit. Like that Pamela Anderson screensaver

5 Likes

The last Flash game I spent a substantial amount of time with was a little old thing called Anti-Idle, which I am not going to link to because no one needs that kind of vicious timesink in their life.

There’s some sort of Zelda clone called Hero’s Arms on Kongregate that I’ve heard great things about, but of course I have too many other things to play.

Anyway, just how dead is Flash going to be after this year? I know it’s apparently going to get uninstalled and/or disabled permanently, but surely it’s not going to be that difficult to re-install and enable it again, is it? If you head over to Newgrounds, they’re touting some kind of “Newgrounds player” plugin, so they’re probably safe, at least.

2 Likes

If it was a BB store offering, it would be at least $300, like their bong…

1 Like

241GB download

4 Likes

Notice: Some antiviruses may detect Flashpoint as a threat. This is a false positive! We try our best to keep Flashpoint virus-free.

8 Likes

So you think that in porting the games over to this launcher wholesale any malware payloads they contained would still exist? Or at least the code that connected to malware servers to deliver the payload when executed… it’s an interesting thought.

There’s more than likely ways to check everything to ensure its clean of malware but with roughly 40,000 games what’s the guarantee that the proper due diligence was done? I still think that the project is more than worthwhile as an archival tool, i do believe that many flash projects of all sorts from the early internet will vanish. Not necessarily a tragedy but i do think there’s value in everything that people created and should be preserved somewhere

1 Like

Only if you hunt down and kill the backup copies that Microsoft keeps in the Windows directories. I figured that was annoying but safe until I found that uTorrent was using it to serve up ads. (Not that advertising streams have ever tried to serve up malware… in the last couple of days.)

1 Like

uTorrent fell from grace some time ago, didn’t it? I switched to qBittorrent some time ago and am pretty happy with it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.