Why won't major websites stop using Flash?

[Read the post]

1 Like

I’ve uninstalled Flash on my PC and Firefox, but i’ve had to leave it enabled on Chrome. I do 99.99% of my browsing on Firefox, and on the occasion i come across a site still supporting flash i end up having to load up Chrome. IGN is a site that comes to mind that is still using Flash for their video player, i can’t recall other major sites i frequent. Though it’s still very irritating having to use a secondary browser just for flash content.

1 Like

It seems pretty simple to me: because porting all your stuff from Flash to something else takes effort and costs money and/or time. The motivation to do it hasn’t overcome the cost of doing it.

10 Likes

Yeah, I find Flash sites and constant Flash updates almost as annoying as sites which are crammed with GIFs, distracting my focus and swallowing up my processor.

So then you have to end up with GIF jamming add-ons which come with their own overhead.
Thank FSM that these are first world problems :wink:

2 Likes

What they also probably don’t want to comment on is that the default Flash security mechanisms allow tracking user activity and correlating identity across sites much more easily than HTTP + cookies. And of course a page can have an invisible flash app that runs automatically unless you use a blocking plugin.

4 Likes

Why won’t major websites stop using page layouts that change as you view them?

Flash is easy enough to ignore. But fuck you if your site starts moving shit around as I scroll.

16 Likes

It’s because stuff is still downloading and for some clever reason stuff doesn’t download in a top-down sequence.

No; I’m talking about after a page is loaded. I mean crap like where pictures “artfully” slide into place from the side as you scroll past them.

7 Likes

“Reliability” is the key word here. Flash might be an insecure mess, but at least it used to be consistent. Everywhere I look these days there seems to be video that’s broken in one way or another due to some quirk of HTML5, even in the latest version of Firefox. Facebook videos and Vines are the primary culprits that come to mind; I find myself regularly launching IE to get around the difficulties. There doesn’t even seem to be a reliable means of stopping Youtube videos from auto-playing anymore.

Anyway, we’ll know it’s really over when one particular site finally transitions.

6 Likes

And everything is possible at that site. :slight_smile:

1 Like
1 Like

I spend all day on the internet, literally, I work with it - and tbh I quite rarely come across flash content. Compare to 10 years ago you couldn’t move for flash content - it was used for everything, from splash pages to animated menu bars.

Now it’s just the odd bespoke video player or ad.

Professionally I’ve neither touched nor been asked to touch flash for… 12 years?

3 Likes

There are very few circumstances where the ROI on moving away from flash isn’t there, at least when we’re talking about online content that generates actual traffic and money.

Metoo for the hate of various javascript monstrosities that move things asunder. If it was good enough for the heathen 12 seconds ago, it’s good enough for me!

1 Like

Flashblock solves all my Flash problems.

1 Like

Three years ago, a musician client asked me to design their website entirely in Flash, and specified that it include a message board, store (with bespoke shopping cart functionality) and blog that would be editable by the client. I explained the difficulties of doing any of that in Flash, but they insisted. The price quote was the last I heard from them, and the last time I’ve had any requests for Flash at all.

4 Likes

The reason for a lot of the video sites still using Flash is simply DRM support for streaming video. I have worked on several cases where the media website wants to move towards a modern technology, only held back by the copyright owners demanding DRM for the usual draconian reasons.

4 Likes

I’ve uninstalled Flash on my machine. If I come across a site using flash, I try to reload using the developer menu as an iPad on IOS. If I don’t get the non-flash video at that point, its Fuck You, I don’t want to use your god damn site anyway.

Well, in the only case where I know the answer to this question, it’s because the flash site was developed on an NSF grant around 2001, it’s been in continuous use ever since by tens of thousands of children and teachers, and nobody is willing to step up and fund the rebuild of the entire (free to use) site to modern web standards.

Of course the web hosting provider broke it permanently and without warning a couple of weeks ago, by refusing to continue to support the version of ASP.NET it was built in, so now the point is moot. Gee, thanks, hostmysite.com…

2 Likes

I always found it was mainly architects and designers who had all-flash websites. Fuck knows why.

1 Like