Adorable Stan Lee rant on the beauty and usefulness of that go-to favorite of 4-letter words

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/27/adorable-stan-lee-rant-on-the-beauty-and-usefulness-of-that-go-to-favorite-of-4-letter-words.html

12 Likes
12 Likes

There’s always a valid time and place for such a useful word:

18 Likes

Mechanic 1: “Fuck it, the fucking fucker’s fucked.”
Mechanic 2: “Fuck it, we’ll get another fucker.”

12 Likes

My first thought was how I’d never noticed how much he sounds like Carlin until I heard him say “fuck”.

6 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DScnnorHEuw

6 Likes

when i was younger i learned that there were multiple dialects of “cursing”. from the time i was 18 until 22 i lived in a large, all-male dormitory known on campus as “THE ZOO”. one long summer, in the middle of that, i worked as a summer hand in the meltshop of a steel mill.

both were lessons in the art of colorful language.

6 Likes

The obligatory classic “The Word Fuck”
(we’ll skip the YouTube versions and post from archive. org)

2 Likes

The fucking girl with the fucking dragon tat-fucking-too.

5 Likes

I knew nothing of “the art of colorful language” until I was in the Boy Scouts. There was one slightly older scout in our troop who would (but only when camping) curse at and about everything and in ways I had never heard before. Beautiful mesmerizing combinations that sounded so right together. At least to my ears.

2 Likes

This was brilliant! Thanks for sharing, as I’ve loved Stan Lee’s work and words for ages.

2 Likes

It is a good, woody word; not at all tinny.

3 Likes

Indeed, unlike shit.
Shit! Shit! Very tinny. Tinny!

3 Likes

Shit is a fucking great word. Shit!

2 Likes

“Fuck, fuck, fuckitty fucking fuck it”
I feel better for that!

1 Like

I think his wish has been achieved in a lot of settings (though of course not all). Even while being a very delightfully useful word, one usefulness that it is quickly losing is its punch. Watching some streaming tv recently I suddenly realized every other word was fuck and I hadn’t even noticed, it’s just normal dialog now.

This thread fucks…

Sort of PVC sort of word, don’t you know.
Lower middle.

Gorn!

1 Like

Oh, fuck wank bugger!

3 Likes

10 Likes