Adult bookstore's tasteful mural still gets complaints

Well, you know how the label of “adult” makes things more appealing to kids - tobacco, alcohol, sex, driving, filling out income tax forms…

2 Likes

evidently “Young Adult” makes us all want to read more books.

2 Likes

That girl is painted to have attributes of both over-18 and under-18. I’m not concerned about the kids, I’m concerned about the adult customers who have child-sex fantasies getting triggered. If only these adults would stop thinking of the kids!

2 Likes

A what now? Does that town not have access to the internet?

3 Likes

Yay RVA! Getting in the news for hilarious reasons!

The mural project has caused the terminally offended many occasions to be displeased - it’s been going on for a couple of years now, and there’s always something that makes people clutch at their pearls.

1 Like

Sidney Harris (who used to do “New Yorker” style cartoons in science journals) had one where an “Adult Bookstore” had books in the window entitled “Quantum Physics” “Biochemistry” and so forth.

6 Likes

Man, all we had when I was growing up as far as questionable adult store advertising was this:

Every time we went to grandma’s place or the airport. Always elicited a giggle out of us kids.
Somehow I ended up with a peep show token from this place (which I treasure to this day). Dad’s pretty straight laced, and I never went there, so I assume that it came from one of my dad’s more adventurous friends (and ended up secretly in my “weird token collection”). And if you’re wondering, the weird token collection has wonderful tokens from laundromats, pay toilets, cool arcades, said “adult book store” etc…

Also, never occurred to me to wonder why the first “E” was so damn small…

3 Likes

Firstly, I’m baffled such a thing as a pay toilet exists, I’ve never seen one, and suspect they aren’t a real thing…

Secondly, who would ever think a pay toilet is a good thing? Isn’t that sort of asking people to take spite dumps all over your facilities?

3 Likes

When you’re visiting Midlothian, don’t fear the beaver.

Since the artist has hashtagged it on Instagram with #FeedUrBeaver, I’m pretty sure the symbolism is not meant to be all that obscure. Also, I think this location used to be a much seedier adult bookstore. People in this neighborhood know what to expect.

1 Like

Oh yes indeed they were real.

(There are still “self-cleaning” (ha) street toilets here that require a quarter to get into, as an ostensible deterrent to prostitutes and junkies using them as offices, but anyone who would deign to actually enter one knows how to get the door open without. Personally, I’d rather sneak into a construction site porto or find some secluded shrubbery.)

2 Likes

They probably have vintage copies of Playboy and a lone Lady Chatterly’s Lover. Really, I didn’t even know such stores still existed.

They’re definitely a thing, a horrible thing that should be banished from the universe, but a thing that exists sadly.

Most notable example i know of is every toilet at Victoria train station here in the UK. Has lead to the occasional agonised wait to get onto a train so i can use the ones there…

1 Like

Live Nud Nudes! Oh, Los Angeles!!

2 Likes

Pretty sure your ‘secondly’ is what cause the (not missed) demise of the pay toilet. It was one of those things that seemed like a good idea in 50’s 60’s America but had very unintended consequences.

1 Like

In Europe they are very much a thing even today, somewhat ironically given the European belief in providing free social services.

1 Like

Some of the dodgiest toilets I’ve ever been in are pay toilets. If you’re not in the know, they’re generally in pretty sketchy areas, where vandalism/illicit activity is likely to take place in bathrooms. Owners of semi-public areas like parking garages or, in the case of the last one I was in, a burger king, make people ask for tokens to use the facilities. Theoretically at least this will prevent the folks who are going to do illegal activities not do them if they have to get a token from an attendant or similar.

Unfortunately, none of the toilet tokens has whimsical appropriate art (but the nude nudes token does!).

1 Like

“A female”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.