Afroman filmed the cops raiding his home and made funny music videos with the footage. Now they're suing him over their hurt feelings.

Originally published at: Afroman filmed the cops raiding his home and made funny music videos with the footage. Now they're suing him over their hurt feelings. | Boing Boing

10 Likes

You have copyrights, image rights and now emotional rights.

9 Likes

The Vice article and interview is excellent.
Also, I would like his momma’s Lemon Pound Cake recipe.

10 Likes

Invoking St. Streisand, I see. A bold, yet futile move on the part of these chuckleheads.

10 Likes

Only conservatives and the fascist tools that enable them have emotional rights. The rest of us will be told, “suck it up, buttercup.”

5 Likes

They’re also suing on civil grounds, saying Foreman’s use of their faces (i.e. personas) in the videos and social media posts resulted in their “emotional distress, embarrassment, ridicule, loss of reputation and humiliation.”

So, it is the video that makes the Cops look bad, not their actions? “How dare you show the world what an asshole I am!”

11 Likes

I was watching a video earlier this week about a way around the police’s immunity claims, at least for the property damage. It’s here. And looking for that link, I see that Lehto’s Law is also covering this case.

The workaround against immunity for civil damages is to sue them under eminent domain. The Fifth Circuit just upheld this, in what is the first time ever I’ve agreed with that group of mooks. I didn’t even know they could do something I approved of. Anyway. I hope Afroman prevails against the cops.

7 Likes

Glad to hear it.

7 Likes

I don’t think they have any claim. As employees of the city they are public figures. They threw their privacy out the window when they put on the badge.

8 Likes

As mentioned elsewhere he’s made several videos from this footage.

“I was gonna countersue, then I got high / cops raided my home I don’t know why / stole my pound cake and money, left me high and dry / must have been high must have been high must have been high” are lyrics I hope he doesn’t have to write.

4 Likes

Boy, that qualified immunity has really gone to their heads. High on their own supply, if you will.

3 Likes

One of them even ate a cake in his kitchen, thereby earning a song of his own.

@beschizza No.
The cop glances at the cake for less than a second, and neither touches nor eats it. Kudos to Afroman for letting that small detail in the footage inspire such a fine song, though.

3 Likes

7 Likes

And is so amazed by it, he lowers his weapon. Must have been some fine pound cake.

3 Likes

Only conservatives and the fascist tools that enable them have emotional rights. The rest of us will be told, “suck it up, buttercup.”

Which is consistent. In the sense that fascists want the following consistency:

• they want to be able to hurt you
  • they don’t want you to be able to hurt them.

The rest is just noise.

4 Likes

Yep. A core principle of the Right is that there are two type of folk. One that the law protects but does not control. And the other that the law controls but does not protect.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.