Cops playing copyrighted music to stop video of them being posted online

Originally published at: Cops playing copyrighted music to stop video of them being posted online | Boing Boing

9 Likes

And who can forget “Singin’ in the Rain” from the movie “A Clockwork Orange”? :smirk:

24 Likes

Simple solution - post the videos without sound. Or caption them with what you asked and noting that you can’t play sound because of their tactics.

28 Likes

Seems to me that counts as a public performance of that music by the police officer. I am sure the police officer has paid the necessary license fees and whatnot for such public performance?

68 Likes

Only the guilty have anything to fear. Feeling guilty Sgt Billy Fair, in you “Blue Lives Matter” mask? What a tosspot.

27 Likes

Or run the video through any of countless filters that will remove music and leave voice (like karaoke in reverse).

25 Likes

This. Fight (copyright) fire with (copyright) fire.

17 Likes

A defaced US flag has no place on someone wearing a government uniform.

45 Likes

Couldn’t one clip the audio between the words? They probably wouldn’t detect it with someone speaking over it, would they?

4 Likes

Technically it’s fair use, because it’s a parody. A parody of justice.

30 Likes

ACAB
All day long

9 Likes

To everyone saying that it’s fair use, or they could tweak the audio, or it’s somehow not a violation of copywrite… that’s not the point. The issue is the net youtube casts is too wide, it’s pulling in the dolphins with the tuna. I think Cory Doctorow has written a number of great articles on the topic of filtering.

28 Likes

Isn’t it an offence to deface the US flag?

6 Likes

Or post them to Google Drive instead.

Or a hosting platform that isn’t youtube. They exist!

2 Likes

gotta admit, it’s a clever tactic.

11 Likes

it’s also Fair use, because Fair is using it, but he’s being rather unfair in doing so

2 Likes

From up here North, I’d say probably not.

4 Likes

I for one appreciate Sgt. Billy Fair letting everyone know exactly what kind of cop he is.

20 Likes

But then these assholes will just claim that the video has been edited/manipulated

5 Likes

Lemon’s Law: Anything parodied on 30 Rock will eventually become reality.

One of my favorite scenes from r/30ROCK
9 Likes