Cops blast Disney music in effort to prevent footage of their behavior going online

Originally published at: Cops blast Disney music in effort to prevent footage of their behavior going online | Boing Boing

5 Likes

26 Likes

Cops don’t know or understand the laws they’re supposed to be enforcing, how can we expect them to understand copyright law?

23 Likes

Fascist wankers.

7 Likes

You’re saying cops don’t know how the law works?

I’m shocked. Shocked I say.

4 Likes

ASCAP wishes to inquire whether you have a public performance license for that musical work.

19 Likes

Personally I think it just adds a nice touch of bit of surrealness to the dystopia. Like something from PKD novel.

5 Likes

Go find “Gun With Occasional Music” by John Lethem.

5 Likes

Does that cop actually think anybody believes him when he gestures and tilts his head like that? So fucking disingenuous, like a fascist mouthpiece for the state.

4 Likes

that’s one thing that’s weird about our police… they don’t really answer to the state at all. they handle their own investigations of themselves, have their own leaders who can overrule local officials and local rules. in most places they don’t even have a duty to intervene if they witness criminal activities.

it’s quite a system they have setup for themselves.

10 Likes

2 Likes

Day America GIF

4 Likes

JFC, pulling up into a neighborhood after dark, flashing strobe lights and blasting music? Someone should call the cops on those…oh. I see.
I’ve (and probably plenty of people here) had the cops called on me for way less. Fucking assholes.
ACAB.
Props to this brave gentleman for filming it. And did you notice how the ‘corporal’ kept saying “I apologize” but didn’t say he was sorry except maybe once at the end?
Saying, “I apologize,” isn’t the same as actually apologizing.
Grrrr.

10 Likes

It’s pretty stupid actually. The most it will do is keep people from monitizing videos. It generally does not cause take-downs. Facebook is more strict maybe, but that’s the situation with YouTube. And of course if the point is just to document police behavior, the video could be shared with news outlets through any file transfer service.

2 Likes

Was there not a time when this was the case? Does it just not happen anymore?

I mean, people have been using this tactic for a couple of years now, so I would assume not.

Ah, let’s see this again, why not.

4 Likes

The automatic detection algorithm doesn’t cause takedowns, it only mutes the audio in your video. Videos will be taken down if the copyright holder files a complaint, but not automatically.

5 Likes

TBF the cop who claimed that was suffering from an overdose he got when the police dispatcher used the word FENTANYL over the air.

3 Likes

I wonder how long it will be before they record a song called “Respect Police Authority” or something and play that in these situations. Then as copyright holders they really could get the videos taken down. (There’s a fair use argument of course - but that would be argued after the fact, I suspect.)

The automatic detection algorithm doesn’t cause takedowns, it only mutes the audio in your video. Videos will be taken down if the copyright holder files a complaint, but not automatically.

Technically true, but immaterial in practice.

Most of the music labels hire firms to handle detection reports from places like YouTube, and they so reliably generate a monetization claim or take-down request without so much as a review of the material in question that it may as well be automated. Handling of the claims and take-down notices is also automated.

What YouTube should do is intentionally test the big partner rightsholders occasionally with obviously false detection notices (e.g., as though the detection algorithm generated a false positive) and penalize the rightsholders who respond to those with a monetization claim or take-down notice.

I wasn’t commenting on YT’s policies or their value, nor what they should be doing.

It is not an immaterial difference. I am a YouTuber for a living, and if I accidentally have some background audio that trips the detector, it is a very big deal that they mute the audio and notify me rather than deleting the video. This gives me the opportunity to go in an fix the audio track on the in-browser editor (they provide tools for these types of fixes) and the video does not lose any stats, nor do I lose any revenue.

You might consider it immaterial, but it’s the difference between me making rent or not.

3 Likes