Dim-witted cop admits playing pop music in expectation it will prevent video of him being uploaded

Originally published at: Dim-witted cop admits playing pop music in expectation it will prevent video of him being uploaded | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Wouldn’t any law abiding decent cop want to showcase his superior policing skills on YouTube rather than prevent citizens from documenting his actions?

27 Likes

someone needs to explain the Streisand effect to this person… or maybe not since he’s probably getting some first hand experience in it as we speak

24 Likes

Dear Mr. Deputy,

If you aren’t doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

The Populace

43 Likes

“Is that still recording?”

“Yeah, do you want me to switch off?”

“No, leave it on. And then you can show your friends about the big telling-off you got from the policeman on the horse.”

46 Likes

My god that horse cops response is a thing of beauty!!!

16 Likes

What if I upload it without the audio? Add closed captions/subtitles if possible. You lose some context but we’ve all seen plenty of surveillance video that was easily understood without sound? The Surfside building collapse is a recent example.

4 Likes

“Get out of the Square Mile and don’t come back”

He’s a City of London Policeman, not from the Metropolitan Police. Not that there is much to distinguish them in terms of behaviour, TBH. I suspect he really did not want to arrest this guy and have to get off his horse, wait for backup to remove the bike and so on and so on.

9 Likes

Artists should go after him for Royalties, he’s deliberately playing their music on a public forum wanting it to be heard.

20 Likes

Playing music at work where it can be heard by the public? Ooooh, I think Officer Shelby needs to pay for an ASCAP public performance license :thinking:

28 Likes

18 Likes

It’s not dim-witted if he’s secure that this won’t ever have negative consequences for him. Which is almost certainly true.

Well, everyone will think he’s an asshole, but so what? I’m pretty sure everyone who interacts with him already thinks so. No skin off his nose.

If his verbal interactions are the problematic bit, the video fails to capture that. Adding subtitles without audio allows him to plausibly claim he never said what the subtitles indicated.

Playing music is a strong strategy if his malfeasance is largely limited to what he says in interacting with the public, rather than smacking people around.

6 Likes

If his verbal interactions are the problematic bit, the video fails to capture that. Adding subtitles without audio allows him to plausibly claim he never said what the subtitles indicated.

Of course. But one could retail the full version in the event the situation escalates, ie, legal discovery or a forum other than GoogTube. It could be part of the local 6pm news without issue.

3 Likes

Today’s tech, leveraging AI and ML, can do a nice job of separating background and music from human speech. It’s what my own company, Poly, has built into its headsets and business conferencing systems (also helpful for open-office and WFH), and would make quick work of this kind of copyright problem. Until the cop starts singing, anyway.

13 Likes

That individual would be too busy cleaning up the rainbows their unicorn keeps shitting on the streets to showcase anything.

5 Likes

And when that stops working, just

1 Like

I agree, he probably won’t suffer consequences at work. Alameda County (including Oakland) is notorious for keeping bad cops on the force – so much so that OPD is under judicial supervision. But we can dole out consequences by supporting the Anti-Police Terror Project and Copwatch in his name, D. Shelby. Maybe they’ll even send a little thank-you note to his employers.
Donate — APTP
https://www.berkeleycopwatch.org/donate

4 Likes

It’s dumb because there’s no Content ID in court (and not much on TikTok or Instagram), but they’re not entirely wrong. Some uploads will get blocked, and it will probably have a little bit of a chilling effect. After a while, all the little impunities start to add up.

Yeah, I was pretty much on his side up to then.

City filths might be less likely to kill you (?), but they’re also more likely to hassle you for having the wrong look, what with how they’re basically private security guards. And, what, he’s fine with this guy going and endangering people in Tower Hamlets? Thanks for your service, pal. Seems like he could have just skipped that part.

4 Likes

Not a safe bet that any of these cops are law-abiding or competent…

2 Likes

The cop is counting on “Cop is unprofessional, obstructive a-hole” to not be seen as news. And it isn’t, because it’s far too common.

2 Likes