Grammar nitpicks, descriptive linguistics, etc

Here’s an odd one, for pedantic review.

That sounded completely wrong to me and I would have said ‘experience of’ but then had to think about why, seeing as ‘experience in’ is ok in other contexts.

So my tentative theory is that ‘experience of’ is about things you experience - such as things that happen to you, whereas ‘experience in’ is something you have experience of doing, and some skill in.

‘I have experience in carpentry, plumbing and bricklaying’ implies some level of skill. Maybe it means much the same as ‘I am experienced in’ these things.

‘I have experience of carpentry, etc,’ may simply mean that I did do some once. I certainly would not grant it the same meaning as ‘I am experienced in’ these things.

Unless this cop has had previous run-ins with being a viral internet meme/target for all the wrong reasons, I suspect this is his first experience of the Streisand effect and as such he cannot really be said to have much experience in it. Let him make himself the subject of viral internet actions he’d rather hush up three or four times more, and we may grant that it has become something he has experience in. Right now he’s just getting an experience of what it’s like.

:wink:

1 Like