Redditor's share they're list of most annoying grammatical error's

Originally published at: Redditor's share they're list of most annoying grammatical error's | Boing Boing

13 Likes

i see what you did there doctor who GIF

hated it damon wayans GIF

38 Likes

Their they’re, yule bee awl write.

27 Likes

Moreso. It’s two words.

Flout/flaunt. They are not the same.

16 Likes

I also see what you did they are.

monste’r

10 Likes

ugh…all time number one on my list: lose vs loose.

Makes my skin crawl every time.

20 Likes

It’s not too much of a stretch to say that I hate the idiotic insertion of ‘of’ into places it has no business being. Is it too big a thing to ask people to stop saying ‘too big OF a thing’?

6 Likes

“Defiantly” when they mean “definitely.”

9 Likes

Obligatory:

18 Likes

TBF, that’s a common spellcheck correction, at least when I haven’t spelled “definitely” correctly.

6 Likes

Ah, quit whining, looser.

/s (you didn’t knead that, I know).

10 Likes

Defiantly knot

13 Likes

Excrement! That maid me chukkle!

6 Likes

I know this is common/acceptable usage in many regions, but hearing “embarrassed of [someone]” always bothers me. I immediately wonder what happened to saying “embarrassed by.” This is used in popular shows so often, it makes me cringe. The line “Are you embarrassed of me?” makes me wish for the other character to reply, “No, I’m embarrassed by or for you. Never of you.”

I’m also still hoping to see “being that” vs. “since” make it onto one of these lists. :crossed_fingers:t4:

14 Likes

“Quotation marks”.

6 Likes

Free reign

Begs the question

(Yes yes prescriptivism blah blah blah. I teach introduction to proofs classes and have need of the “begging the question” concept. It’s not like anyone uses “begs the” in any other similar way to the way people misuse it to mean, “prompts the question”.)

Seems like I should drop this hear:

Wants pawn term, dare worsted ladle gull hoe lift wetter murder inner ladle cordage, honor itch offer lodge, dock, florist. Disk ladle gull orphan worry putty ladle rat cluck wetter ladle rat hut, an fur disk raisin pimple colder Ladle Rat Rotten Hut. …

6 Likes

I was never good at spelling or grammar, but I was good at math so I became an engineer.

8 Likes

I think this could be useful here:

12 Likes

What a breech of the peas!

9 Likes

My Sophomore year of HS my English teacher spent the whole hour of the first day going over A LOT.

5 Likes