After 28 years, Sony resumes vinyl record production

Yeah, but the demodulator sent a digital signal to a receiver via S/PDIF. If you store a barcode on analogue paper it’s still digital information.

1 Like

I use brightness lines.

I still use mine!

All of those shops split up by genres is kind of what blew my mind. I will admit that I had to see with my own eyes a genre shop devoted entirely to Progressive Rock. That is an extremely rare beast and I was not disappointed by the selection even though the shop was cramped.

The Jazz shop was as good as anything I’ve ever seen on the west coast of the US.

oh thank gosh you said. I’ve sort of wanted one until just now but pros and cons were still sorting out, have been for years now, can’t justify the cost but i’d love to not degrade my records by playing them. But reality says my house is dusty. No need for that expense only to be disappointed!

Agree with the sentiments here, and I’ll write what I’ve written before.

Vinyls are not super audio quality, but they are undeniably cooler than modern formats.

• As mentioned, the ritual is itself pleasurable
  • the scratchy sound is nostalgic for some, or hearkens back to a simpler era
  • The album art is big, big enough to hang on the wall. And some do.
  • If audio quality matters to you, vinyl can sound great through a nice sound system. My all-in-one player I bought at Target doesn’t have much low end, but it does have a line out if I wanted to fix that.

Another tip on the subject of acquiring Vinyl. I’m a big metal head, and back when I used to travel for work all the time, I’d sometimes bum around malls in the evening for lack of much else to do. I noticed that Hot Topic started selling Vinyls to try and cash in on the trend, but never managed to do enough volume. So there always seemed to be stores trying to liquidate their inventory, selling them off at often $5 a pop.

At $5 a pop, that’s impulse buy territory. I discovered a few new bands this way. Also, one time I snagged 3 Tool albums for $15–two of which were double record releases. Fantastic. At the time, the way I dressed for my job was described to me as “Metrosexual” and so it amused me greatly to be seen in such a teenie-bopper store perusing records. And the look on the cashier’s face when I plunk down Lamb of God and Darkest Hour albums. Lol!

1 Like

One could get around the dust issue by enclosing the media similar to how mini-disks did. You also get the benefit of not worrying about scratches. However there must be a downside i’m not considering (beyond adding bulk and cost to a record collection)

1 Like

I read those as “startled.” :slight_smile:

I threw away all my vinyl records 6 years ago. Not once since then have I, even for a second, regretted it. I grew up with vinyl and tape, and never want to see them again. Well, maybe if they invent a time machine…

1 Like

It’s context dependent. So they’re brightness lines if the posture of the character indicates an idea is being had.

Same with being startled.

Considering how hard/expensive it is to get large retail space in Shinjuku to have everything in one shop, Disk Union’s strategy seems smart.

They are also really at the top with Japanese style customer service. Recently at their heavy metal shop when buying a CD of a local artist, I got an authorized CD-R of bonus material and a ticket to see the artist live for free. Unfortunately the show was after the start of Shabbat on a friday night so I couldnt go.

BTW as a side note, I was positively tickled pink the first time I walked into their reggae shop and saw one of the records I’d produced up on the “push” shelf!

Also funny how people return to Vinyl. And not shellack or whatever was before that.

At least 14 weeks of constantly playing music, if my FLAC collection is anything to go by.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.