After repeated budget cuts, Missouri's underfunded Public Defender drafts the Governor to work for him

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/04/after-repeated-budget-cuts-mi.html

10 Likes

Sorry, Cory. @daneel scooped you.

5 Likes

Link to save anyone searching (or did I miss it?)

6 Likes

Shared :smiley:

Missouri also has a law mandating that uncertified schools must be afforded education in a system of that school’s choice: http://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/562/the-problem-we-all-live-with

I am very impressed that Missouri’s past legislators thought to constrain the current rascals

5 Likes

Oh, I’m sure the Governor will wiggle out of it somehow.

4 Likes

Yep, and also find a way to punish the underfunded Public Defender who summoned him with the letter.

7 Likes

I understand the assumption, but the GOP tag doesn’t seem appropriate. The governor is a Democrat.

11 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

underfunded by a governor who can always find money for his pet projects.

Vote that moron out’a office!

2 Likes

Be tricky, he’s getting term-limited out.

3 Likes

It’s a miracle. Of Biblical proportions.

1 Like

He’s already trying…

3 Likes

From that article:

Naming Nixon as a public defender is not the only attempt by Barrett to recover the money Nixon is withholding. The commission last month filed a lawsuit seeking to force Nixon to release the money. An initial hearing on that case is set for Monday.

Governor, defend thyself?

2 Likes

Nixon, a former attorney general, said he supports indigent criminals having legal representation, but that Barrett cannot appoint a private attorney without the consent of the attorney.

I think he can. In fact, I think he just did. I don’t see where the law requires consent at all.

8 Likes

I did a fist pump when I read this.

5 Likes

will he ask for a public defender?

8 Likes

As tempting as it is to be gleeful over this, as has been pointed out already, Nixon is a term-limited governor in his last year in office. If he just ignores this, I doubt anything will happen. He will likely be replaced by this lovely excuse for a human being.

2 Likes

1 Like

Poetic justice at its finest