After Tay's very public crazy racist Nazi sexbot breakdown, Microsoft's like, 'Tay-a culpa, guys'

Because when you’re a multi-billion-dollar company that releases a twitterbot which very publicly spews a bunch of crazy sexist racism

“We are sorry that our algorithm tweeted some very offensive content we did not intend and this is how it happened…”

Is a much classier and more productive reaction than

“Yes, our algorithm tweeted some very offensive content but it’s not our fault so fuck off.”

5 Likes

They were trolled. That’s not the same as gravity or other laws of physics, unless you also hold true that people are inevitably going to ruin things.

Which really says little about other people, and a lot about how malice hides in the shade of '“accidents”.

And aren’t you the guy who wanted to view an act of terrorism like an industrial accident?

Might want to think on the difference some. They’re not actuall interchangeable concepts.

1 Like

What would that prove or disprove. If something is a only foul odious or evenquestionable when someone dies?

Bit extreme, don’t cha think?

2 Likes

You haddock chance, but you floundered

4 Likes

Soon we are supposed to have voice activated AI driven taxis. Do not get into one of these after a bunch of teenagers has used it.

1 Like

It would be a quite refreshing change to all the apologizing of today.

It’s sufficiently common to be expected. And shrugged off as ultimately harmless and often quite amusing.

It’s a work of an actor you don’t have under control. Whether it is somebody’s decision to blow himself up and kill you with a shrapnel, or when a corrosion eats through a pipe and you get killed by a blast. In both cases you are equally dead. In neither case you can predict it nor do anything about it, as the recipient of the bad luck. Why would it make sense to differentiate much?

Why? A random death is a random death.

Why not? Would cut down a lot on the outraged noise. A foul-talking bot harms nobody who does not go out of their way to feel offended, and even then it is not a real harm but a personal choice to feel offended.

Better to apologize when it’s polite and appropriate than to remain defiant just out of spite.

Of course if everyone felt that way then Trump wouldn’t be so popular right now.

4 Likes

But not everybody feels that way. And because people are getting allergic to all the apologies for nothing, inter alia, they are flocking to somebody who wouldn’t. Maybe the Trumpinator wouldn’t be so popular otherwise.

1 Like

The first part is absolutely inexcusable. Just complete and utter failure to build anything safely on the Internet. So amateurish.

10 Likes

Are you saying that network echos, fingers, and unauthed relays are lessons we should learn from?

Excuse me, I need a feinting couch.

1 Like

I am not convinced that the Intertubes need a mindless system of algorithmic reflexes spewing out whatever inflammatory fascist statements emerge from its Markov chains. We have one Donald Trump already.

5 Likes

Apparently it spat out this diamond:

bush did 9/11 and Hitler would have done a better job than the monkey we have now. donald trump is the only hope we’ve got.

So, yeah, you can check that one off the list.

5 Likes

What’s more fun than Trump?
Two Trumps! :smiley:

1 Like

yes, when other people are offended, by you, it is a choice by them.

But what about when YOU are offended, buy others. Same thing?

I ask because I don’t think you;'d like it if your neighbor (or lover) was murdered, and I talked about like an accident.

Gosh, you’d likely think I was being willfully inflammatory. Or just so insensitive as to not be distinguishable from inflammatory. But that would be, as you put it, your choice, to jump to any such conclusion.

A murder is not an accident.

Neither is this:

But, you know, you’ll find a way not to think I just called you a selfish prat who likes talking big online. But I am.

2 Likes

Not everybody feels ANY way. Everybody is an awful black and white term.

nothing is an awfully black and white term.

I won’t judge you for being totally HUMAN. Maybe you could extend the same to others sometime, or at least see how much of what you think is other people is you, willfully and lazily not seeing reality in favor of black and white.

4 Likes

Yes.

I wasn’t offended by ages. A bit annoyed sometimes, but not really offended. Try it. It makes life much less annoying. As a bonus, it pisses off those who actually want to offend you.

Would it make them any less dead?

If they were a victim of a randomly aimed act, it is an accident. It is not if they are intentionally targetted as they themselves.

Indeed - but a murder it is when it is targeted to the victim. Not if the victim is just incidental, if the only reason they got killed was being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

It doesn’t mean if they were killed by an explosion of a steam mains or a suicidal belt. They just were unlucky enough to be in range. Hence, accident.

Seems to be saying more about you than about me.
You are sort of amusing.

Nice dodge. Try that one again.

1 Like

Make it “for ages”. I am slow today.

They should have released it on the BBS… That BBS-bot that I assume @beschizza programmed – what’s it’s handle? Oh ya, @OtherMichael – seems to have developed well…
Sure half of the bot’s posts are semi-intelligible, but I don’t think that I have ever seen it spout racist stuff. The only semi-disturbing thing that the bot does is it’s constant attempt to reproduce by creating other bots – I’m not entirely sure that its ultimate goal is harmless.

6 Likes

If “I found the racist/sexist stuff that twitterbot said offensive” is a sign that someone is being overly sensitive then what does “I find unnecessary apologies for creating a racist twitterbot offensive” say?

2 Likes