After threats, Reddit finally quarantines Trump forum The_Donald

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/26/after-threats-reddit-finally.html

7 Likes

Christ, about fucking time. They’d done just about everything else, I guess threatening cops finally went too far. Breaking federal election law didn’t, though.

36 Likes

What is the difference between quarantining a subreddit and banning it?

4 Likes

I know I posted this tweet a few days ago on a different thread, but it’s definitely relevant when talking about that subreddit also

31 Likes

Quarantine means you can never stumble onto it, it won’t appear on searches or any casual browse of the site. You have to know the name of the subreddit and only then can you go to it.

Forgot the second part: banning removes it entirely. Gone forever. Poof. And yep, I agree with your reply, they should have simply banned it. But Reddit has shown far too much soft peddling when it comes to those flaming llama scrotums.

39 Likes

Not good enough then.

10 Likes

So, The_Donald merely got talked about more?
Great solution, Reddit.

12 Likes

Quarantine seems to happen only after mods at a subreddit refuse to deal with a problem and admins have to do it themselves. This only makes them madder and less cooperative, because of the personality types involved, so it tends to lead to a ban anyway.

31 Likes

I can’t imagine why…

11 Likes

Several years too late but at least it’s a start.

Wait, it was over threats to the police??? The threats to everything else wasn’t the final straw?

uP4cuEW

37 Likes

Yeah the far right has lost their collective minds.*

I’ve read that politics in general has shifted less and less from the center, but that the right has shift more so than the left.

1 Like

Soooo, can we also “quarantine” the senators who made the original violent threats against the police? It’s a little embarrassing when reddit is handling threats against the police amongst its keyboard commandos better than the real world is against influential government officials…

27 Likes

Looks like threats are getting personal around here.

[ETA] Glad to see it’s gone. Willing to wager we’ll get more of this.

20 Likes

Kind of concerned that quarantining rather than just banning it may lead it to having some sort of outlaw cachet.

2 Likes

There is no center.

(In spite of my prior politics, I now question if there ever was such a thing.)

3 Likes

What do you call people who have views that are considered both left and right wing?

4 Likes

These guys are far right. There is very little doubt about that.

10 Likes

Now can we ban Hair Twittler from the internet entirely? His twitter account should be removed, placed in a sack and firmly held under the water until it ceases struggling. Then the sack should be loaded onto a Falcon Heavy and shot into the sun. stat

6 Likes

If they say Nazi-type things, they’re nazis. What ever else they say is worthless.

16 Likes

How they just ban the whole damn subreddit. It’s useless to have it around. It’s not even funny to watch its commenters flail about uselessly. It’s just total garbage.

11 Likes